Saracen TerraTrax

dirtjumper_dmr

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
It's either 1996 or 1997, I can't remember but I've had it from new.

Frame: Saracen TerraTrax Cromo

Fork: RST Mozo Pro (I've removed one of the elastomers to reduce the height for now, but planning on fitting rigid soon)

Headset: YST Geforce
Stem: Saracen A-head
Handlebar: Saracen
Grips: original
Barends: took them off

Brakes: Acera Cantilever
Brake Pads: Shimano
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: old ones
Brake Levers: Shimano Acera

Shifters: Shimano Deore Thumbshifters
Front Derailleur: Shimano Acera X
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Acera X
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Shimano 8spd
Chain: SRAM
Cranks: Shimano Acera X
Crank Bolts:Shimano
Chainrings: Shimano
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Shimano square taper
Pedals: Dmr V8 flat
Hub Skewers: Shimano QR
Rims: (F) Alesa Challenger. (R) Alex DM20 (new-ish)
Hubs: (F) Shimano Acera X. (R) Specialized (new-ish)
Tyres: Ritchey MegaByte, IRC Mythos XC

Saddle: DMR (new-ish)
Seatpost: Original
Seatpost Binder: Bontrager (new-ish)

Weight: unknown, but a lot lighter than my Trailstar :twisted:

Attachments

• DSCF0714_2.jpg
    DSCF0714_2.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 2,295
  • DSCF0715_2.jpg
    DSCF0715_2.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 2,296
Had one of those bad boys, did quite a few manchester- edinburgh trips loaded up with paniers, was a strong frame, my sister still has the bike, great paint job as I remember, and yours looks in great nick.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. :cool:

great colour, and that shot through top tube looks cool-as!

Get a rigid pace fork on it, would look mint!

Thanks for the comments people :D I didn't really think anyone would care about my old Saracen in the midst of all the exotica on here!!!

Hmm maybe a Pace rigid would look pretty awesome :twisted:

dirtjumper_dmr":36ogfymb said:
Thanks for the comments people :D I didn't really think anyone would care about my old Saracen in the midst of all the exotica on here!!!

Well they made some really nice bikes BITD.

DM":2xpr5p18 said:

You're not wrong.

I think Saracen were capable of making some of the nicest looking steel frames around when they put their mind to it. This one's a real cracker.
Love the colour. :cool:

A nice Saracen went on Ebay a while back:

Cerise pink colour with very "80s" decals. All early-ish XT components. The frame was fillet-brazed and had a matching pink rack. Lots of "Ritchey" type details, like a sleeved seat-tube junction etc.

It fetched an OK price but, considering it was in REALLY nice condition, it was extremely cheap. With a different "brand" on the downtube people would have bid it sky high.

Of course, Saracen then went the "off-shore" route and got some proper nasty tat made in Taiwan. Very sad.

cherrybomb":x2y67q0a said:
DM":x2y67q0a said:

You're not wrong.

I think Saracen were capable of making some of the nicest looking steel frames around when they put their mind to it. This one's a real cracker.
Love the colour. :cool:

Yep, you're not wrong. I'd love a 95 Kili Flyer, the gold one with XTR and all manner of Ritchey WCS pimpery. Lovely things!

Those low(er) end ones were always as tough as nails, with really good paint jobs.

Deffo on the hunt for some quality rigid forks for this now, spurred on by all the positive posts on here :D also thinking about upgrading the drive-train abit, maybe period XT, I think the frame is worthy of it.

Carlos the Slackal":64mfde25 said:
I'd love a 95 Kili Flyer, the gold one with XTR and all manner of Ritchey WCS pimpery. Lovely things!

Wish I'd never sold my Kili :cry: It did get replaced by a Zaskar LE though so I can't really grumble I s'pose. :?

dirtjumper_dmr":64mfde25 said:
thinking about upgrading the drive-train abit, maybe period XT, I think the frame is worthy of it.

A bit of XT Certainly wouldn't look out of place hung off that. :cool:

Back