Long reach calipers

dynamicbrick

Dirt Disciple
Need some help with the Peugeot chaps.

Foolishly I retained the calipers during the rebuild, and by buggery they're hopeless; not helped by the fact they're designed for wide rims and I'm running some modern narrow Vueltas on there.

Rummaging around on eBay there's not much specifically listed as long reach or long drop, and I quickly lose interest just searching calipers.

Any part numbers for some decent long reach would be appreciated to help me narrow the search.

Unless anyone has a set of something they're willing to sell - don't mind what, just as long as they stop me, or at least make a passable attempt at reducing velocity

I recently gave a 1989 Peugeot to a friend and amongst other things wanted to upgrade the brakes.

The drop was insanely deep, as if it originally had 27" wheels.

These Dia-Compe are dual pivot, nut fitment and much better than I expected for the money: front and rear.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Ah, good work Scilly - that's more in my budget, thanks.

The drop is ridiculous on the standard reach - 57-75mm - because it's got clearance for mudguards and presumably because the standard calipers were designed to fit everything from 700c to 26"

I reckon you're right there.

The wheels were the original 700c with mudguards and clearance for some chunky tyres: I guess it was a low-end, workhorse.

FYI the brakes took about ten days to arrive, but with free p&p, I suppose that's fair enough.

How do you find the long-drop calipers? I've never tried them but am considering getting some - but I've read that braking performance isn't great?

My only reference is the stock 80s French ones, and they are hopeless beyond belief.

I've adjusted them to sit 3mm from the rim - levers make them bite with 10mm of travel. But I can get the levers back to the bars (50mm of travel) as the calipers flex.

They also do that classic old cheap caliper thing - the cable/pull side of the caliper stays against the rim and the opposite moves away.

The Dia-Compe are a marked improvement: stopping rather than slowing.

The length of the original single-pivot caliper arms magnified their shortcomings.

With care short drop single pivots can be set-up to work reasonably, but even with good cables and pads the extra-long drops were always hair-raising!

Back