Freddie Grubb rebuild from scratch - Newbie advice

japes1275

Retro Newbie
Hello, I've just been given a Freddie Grubb frame and forks from my dad and am aiming to build it into a decent bike. The only information I have about it is what is under the bottom bracket. It has the following:
Nervex
61deg 64deg D22 2 E38

Also on the seat tube it has: A and 72deg.

Frame size is 57cm

Trouble is I know very little about bikes and starting from scratch is going to be difficult as I'm not sure what I will need. I'm guessing it had downtube shifters and a double chain ring as the braze ons would allow that.

I am thinking that rather than build it exactly as would have been I am going to have it with more up to date components. Not right up to date, maybe from 15-20 years ago or so. A double or triple with brake lever shifters, hopefully Campag.

Anyway, any suggestions will be appreciated and I'm sure I'll be back to ask many more questions!

John

Welcome! Nervex refers to the lugs I think. More knowledgable folk will be along I'm sure. Does it have any Reynolds stickers on it anywhere?

I wonder if the frame number has the build month and year in it?

Cheers for the welcome!
No decals/stickers I'm afraid, my Dad resprayed it so its just a bare frame. He said it was Reynolds tubing though and he reckons its more like 50's or 60's. The head badge is there and looks to be brass or copper. I'll post a photo of it tomorrow. It has an oil hole and a rear mech cable guide on the bottom bracket if that tells any stories.

Once I get all the parts sorted and tried out on the frame I'm going to decide on a colour scheme for it and respray it properly. It might need a few braze ons changing or removing depending on what I go for so I'll have to leave painting it right till the end.

One question I have already is about braze ons. Do they all just braze straight onto the tubes/lugs or is the frame drilled and they are brazed into the holes? I think I'll want cable stops/adjusters where the downtube shifters fit so I'll need to do some brazing there I guess.

John

Back