Hope it doesn't turn out to be a lemon

My '92 clockwork had a 26.8
By the look of it, that seat binder has been squeezed a bit too tight.

Stripped the headset and oxidised the cups using 'cold blue. Gives a nice uniform finish when items can be dipped.

Have decided to drill a drain hole in the BB shell.

Attachments

• DSC01890.JPG
    DSC01890.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 490
  • DSC01887.JPG
    DSC01887.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 490
Chainset is Exage cranks with Pace rings (46 36 24) which is somewhat higher geared than I am used to. Would also need to buy a BB for it. Rear mech M735 (XT) is in a very poor cosmetic state (worse than appears on teh photo).

So for the time being I am going to use a spare octalink M750 chainset, M750 rear mech and XT bottom bracket. This is for narrow 9 speed chains so will have to see how well it mixes with the 7 speed cassette. Will try the M735 front mech which is in good condition.

Have coated everything in a silicon spray to keep tarnishing at bay. My intention is to get the bike built up to give it a try before spending any money on it.

Attachments

• DSC01893.JPG
    DSC01893.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 485
Weighed the frame - came in at a whopping 5lbs (just under).

Frame and forks are 7lbs - so this is not going to a lightweight bike. :shock:

bj":25puqx54 said:

It's not so bad, a modern medium cotic soul is about 200g less than that.

With a view to getting this to the Turkey Twizzler at Cannock I've put the clockwork back together for the time being. Give it a first try at Cannock and see how I get on - and whether to progress the build any further.

Up front cost so far:

Purchase: £15
Seatpost: £11
Saddle: £7

Total £33

Additions from spares box:
Octalink XT M750 chainset and rear mech
LX octalink Bottom bracket
Various A2 bolts
Flat bar
Lightweight tubes
2 tyres.

Hours of love and attention

The weakest link at the moment are the wheels, particularly the back which has seen some hefty rim damage by the looks of it. Not keen to spend any more until I have decided whether the frame size is going to suit me.

Overall weight came in at a better than expected 24.4lbs. With some decent wheels this should go sub 24lbs.

Rob

Attachments

• DSC01903.JPG
    DSC01903.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 391
bj":31vz3ji8 said:

Summat not right there, should be no more than 4.5 pounds?

Looks great, have you treated the frame in any way ? It won't take long before it looks mine ;)

It's still going strong and will hopefully get it out for a spin at the weekend :cool:

a1456b78.jpg

f101aff1.jpg

Gravy Monster":8tdpjfh5 said:
Looks great, have you treated the frame in any way ? It won't take long before it looks mine ;)

Just liberally coated in a silicon spray. Has worked well on my raw alloy frames for years - just having a go to see how well it holds out on the steel.
Not overly hopeful.
I simply do not want to spend too much until I've decided whether to keep it or not. Realistically the frame is too small for me and, as can be seen, requires a rather long seatpost.

Well it has had a test ride at the Cannock Turkey Twizzler.

First time on a retro Bike - first thoughts:

1) The 17" Frame felt small to me.
2) Cantis were better than expected - despite going through a complete set of pads.
3) Steering was very quick and caught me out on a number of occasions.
4) First finger and thumb thrashed about in mid air hunting for the triggers - thumbies will take some getting used to.
5) Sore fingers at the end - possibly due to being too tense.

I want to love this bike but feel on balance I will not be able to live with a 17" frame, so I'm going see if any one fancies a swap for a 19" clockwork.

Rob

Back