Front mech adjustment

bikenut2010

Senior Retro Guru
small but silly stuff:
On my steelie with a band on front mech, I have to pretty much trim the front shift lever after each change at the block (14-2:cool: this isn't the case with other steelies with friction shifters I have ridden, usually only needs a trim when you get to more 'extreme' positions...any clues?

Depends on how "thin" the slot is for the chain in the front mech.......early campag seemed quite narrow whilst simplex were a lot for forgiving. Some front mechs had a curved-in inner plate which "helped" the chain onto the big ring. Sometimes could be straightened which helped.

What are ou running?

Shaun

Hi it's a Campag record... cage does look narrow now you mention it...
also it doesn't seem parallel to chain ring, tail is further outboard so maybe I should swivel the mech to get that lined up ...

Attachments

• front mech1.jpg
    front mech1.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 359
I always thought that was something that went with the territory... A 3/32 chain, 5/6 speed block... It's just the way it works. More cogs/narrower spacing and chain means you can shift a few more gears before it happens? I'm no authority.. I bought my last derailleur in about '85.. :shock:

Apart from what's already mentioned, two additional things which could be influential: a)Whether or not the chainrings run perfectly true. b)Length of chainstays.

P.S. The spacer between the cage-plates at the aft of the cage does look a bit weird (i.e. narrow) in that pic. The cage should be slightly wider at the aft than at the fore?

The mech needs swivelling around a bit so it's parallel to the chainrings or slightly inboard at the rear.

Early Campag Record were notoriously narrow, I'll measure my spacer tomorrow but looks right to me.

Shaun

maybe I can insert a small bush and longer bolt at the rear of the cage... I check the rings also , many thanks

ps i have an old Bertin with friction shift, same 6 speed rear block and you'd think it was fitted with indexed, the gear shift is butter-smooth and hardly ever needs trimming... :cool:

I agree with Midlife, from the pic it looks like the mech needs twisting into line as it is not parallel to the chain ring.

Campag stuff has always been noisy.........in the 70's there was a right racket when the group (peloton) came to a hil or set themselves up for a sprint........

Suntour realy should have cleaned up when it came out but sadly left it to Shimano.

Shaun

Early Campag Record were notoriously narrow

Fair enough.. that's before my time! The only reference I have to hand is a mid 80s Nuovo Gransport. Distance between insides of cage plates: Fore.. 10mm. Aft.. (widest part, just before the outer plate bends in to meet the spacer).. 12mm. The spacer itself is about 8mm.

ps i have an old Bertin with friction shift,

Is it the same model of front changer?.. and how long are the chainstays, compared to this bike?

Back