Who's got a 29'er?

firedfromthecircus":hyge19jk said:
And Shand would be top of my list if I was looking for a custom. ;)

I've already spoken to Steve at Shand and arranged to visit them at Bespoked in April. ;)

As for the weight thing. I build my retros to be practical, but when necessary pull out the stops to make them light; my RSP 853 road bike is also light and getting lighter, so I see no reason why a built up steel 29er should weight significantly more, even allowing for wheels and tyres, especially given how light a CX bike can be built, and we all know the type of hammering they get.

EDIT: Singular have a dealer in Bristol!

I second the vote for Singular. My first steel rigid 29er was a Swift and I now have the Pegasus as my Singlespeed. Sam is an allround nice guy and stands by his product too.

As for light, the pink Independent is a svelte 9 kg flat as pictured. :cool:

JamesM":3sdv3qew said:
My mate is selling this 2012 Kona Honza for £770ono. He's in W-S-M so you could pop round for a look if your interested. Drop me a PM if you are.

Eee is that the one on PinkBike? WANT!!! trying to get some loot together in time!!

kaiser":fbfco0zp said:
Cotic Solaris and the Singular Swift would be a fair starting point. Dialled bikes have also released a 29er too.

I've had a look at all three now, and like the look of all of them, with possibly the Dialled at the head of the list, as I like the idea of a raw finish frame.

I'm not rushing into this, as I have two retro builds to complete (one road, one mtb) before I take on another bike, also I think the chances of selling a couple of retros to make space would be better left until the new year.

I haven't told my son what I'm planning yet, that will cause a 'discussion'. ;)

So, carbon or alloy rims? Tubeless? SRAM or Shimano? 1 x 11, 1 x 10 or 2 x 10?

Oh, lots of things to consider over Christmas ;)

The swift is a great bike , good value too. If you go 29, then why not tubeless at the same time. The swift you can run single speed too ;)

I'm running 2x10 on my 5, and recommend it , 1x10 would also be good , depending on the terrain you will be using it on.

theredchili":2dj2d6kn said:
The swift you can run single speed too ;)

You're just taunting me now James.

I just rebuilt Kt's C16R as 2x10 and I'm currently doing the same with my Roberts DB, so that would definitely be my preference.

I'm not convinced about tubeless yet. We've done it with Jon's Felt, and it's a real messy PIA to get the tyres first sealed, plus, it seems to me that any saving in weight by not having tubes fitted, is somewhat negated by the fact you have half a pint of lexan solution slopping around in there.

I do agree that the Swift looks like a bargain, complete with forks.

However, I was considering using Exotic rigid carbon forks on whatever frame I choose, as they are as light as anything and pretty robust.

I recently decided the 29er itch needed scratching and bought the on one Inbred based on the fact that the general consensus seemed to be that it was a cheap but functional 29er that was fun to ride and could be built rigid or sus at the front.

I built it up with full 9speed xt gears and Avid Elexir brakes and carbon rigid forks. After 2 months I have to say I'm unimpressed. First the frames ride is harsh compared to other steel bikes I've ridden, secondly it weighs an awful lot. Also the head angle is to steep for my liking when running rigid forks up front.

However by far the worst thing about the frame is the paint finish, I have no laquer left on the top tube and I'm through to the steel on the rear stays from heel rub, other areas such as cable rub points and general knocks from crashes are visible all over the bike as well.

Overall I'm happy though, but the weight and harsh ride ,means I'm out looking for a lighter better steal frame and some front suspension. But I'm in love with 29" wheels.

All views expressed are mine and based on no real knowledge of bikes, this is my first modern bike in 5 years.

Wow! An honest opinion; that's not a thing you'd find on many forums, thanks for your comments Spike.

I looked at On One, I liked the Lurcher carbon frame but decided not to go that route in the end.

I am arranging a test ride at present; comments and pictures after the event ;)

Who's got a 29er?

Me!
Just bagged a 2010 Giant XTC 29er (alu)
Read up quite a lot on these before deciding, and have found the much rarer/affordable (lower spec :roll: ) xtc2 but essentially wheels and frame are the same.

It'll be my first 29er and I've jumped in blind really as I've never ridden this bike and have always ridden 19/20" Konas for about 25 years!
Really looking forward to the change in direction!

Back