Team Z Peugeot 1990/91 Greg Lemond TVT

stringfellow1946

Senior Retro Guru
Team Z Peugeot 1990/91 Greg Lemond TVT.
Not a 100% original team replica but fairly close, I can’t source any Scott Drop-in handlebars at anything like a sensible price or the Scott Stem, but its fitted with a TTT Stem & an unknown make of Drop-in Bars. A full C-Record Delta 8 speed index group-set. NOS Time Titan Magnesium pedals. And just for the purpose of this photo shoot I’ve included a genuine Tour De France issue COKE drink bottle that I brought back with me from the 1990 TDF.
Ok the frame is the correct HM version that the team used. These are very easily identified by the “TVT” engraved on the Seat & Head lugs (standard HR versions do not have the engraving on the lugs). Also the HM Version has it marked on the top tube decals.
Much more importantly the HM Model was about 15-20% stiffer than the standard HR. Various Teams (RMO, Festina, Helvica, Banesto used TVT frames at different times in the early 90’s).
Also a lot of top professional riders at the time bought there own TVT & had them sprayed up in there team colours & fitted with the correct team decals a couple that I can 100% confirm that were using a TVT instead of the Team Sponsors bike were (Gert-Jan Theunisse TVM, Steven Rooks Buckler http://www.flickr.com/photos/steel-is-real/3354980772/) .
I have no idea what rims or saddle the team used in 1990 so I have temporally built the wheels with “Campagnolo Sigma Crono Oxide rims” until I can source the correct make & model. The saddle is a Roll’s again until I can find the correct model. Does anyone know how the word Scott appeared on the ends of the handlebars in black, ie over the top of the white bar tape?
Any help with any of this would be gratefully appreciated

Attachments

• _DX_8515.jpg
    _DX_8515.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 8,288
  • _DX_8517.jpg
    _DX_8517.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 8,287
  • _DX_8522.jpg
    _DX_8522.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 8,288
  • _DX_8514.jpg
    _DX_8514.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 8,289
  • _DX_8524.jpg
    _DX_8524.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 8,288
  • _DX_8516.jpg
    _DX_8516.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 8,286
  • _DX_8520.jpg
    _DX_8520.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 8,288
  • _DX_8512.jpg
    _DX_8512.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 8,292
Nice inspiration for my newly obtained C Record groupset! I've got a TVT lined up in my ebay watch list and this has tipped in its favour!

That's fantastic, lovely looking machine and top drawer condition.

Sterling effort all round. Manic bars as well, do they limit the angle the wheel can be turned to?

really liking this bike.

Team Z

Lovely, saddle should be a Regal and the handlebars would have been wrapped in white benotto tape and the drop ins finished with black electrical tape and Scott Stickers. :D

One of my favourite colour schemes. It has to be seen in the flesh to get the full effect of the paint scheme!

Pat

Re: Team Z

cloonaghpat":3m850yyx said:
Lovely, saddle should be a Regal and the handlebars would have been wrapped in white benotto tape and the drop ins finished with black electrical tape and Scott Stickers. :D

One of my favourite colour schemes. It has to be seen in the flesh to get the full effect of the paint scheme!

Pat

Hi Pat
Thanks for the information, but I’m sure that the Z team used a mixture of Regal, Turbo, & Rolls saddles at that time. I have never seen any photos of the 1990 Z team with benotto tape being used on the bars, as It was starting to go out of favor by the late 80’s early 90’s. Look at this link it’s the 1989 ADR team bike that Lemond used to win the worlds on the year before.
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=151502

I did ask the question about the how the drop ins were finished are you sure about this? “drop ins finished with black electrical tape and Scott Stickers.”

Any more info would be helpful.
Thanks
Chris

Team Z

Hi Chris,

Yes, I saw the team bikes in the flesh in 1990 in Birr, Ireland in the Nissan Tour. They were finished with the white benotto tape. I had a pair of Scott drop ins twenty years ago now! Four Scott decals were supplied with the bars.

Regards,

Pat

Back