MacRetro Trading Post

I've had 2 of the ebay/dealextreme lights and they are good but the batteries are pish, both mine failed because of rain shorting them out. On a third battery now and switched the other to a nicad pack from an RC car.

They're not sealed the best, are they? I always carry mine in camelbak, no problems so far, which works fine for mounting on the helmet. I think for handlebar mount it'll involve butchering a water bottle and sealant and for good measure probably a latex glove or condom if I'm feeling saucy...

The first one I got off eBay, I waterproofed the battery by putting it in a balloon. Found a balloon just big enough to not need stretched over battery, then cut off most neck so that it was easier to make it wide enough to get battery in. A bit of tape and a small cable tie sealed it round cable. The other 2 I've not bothered yet as not used them when it's wet, as I mostly use them for working under car or working outside in the evening.

I had used cling film for my first one - I thought Li-ion batteries needed to vent so I didn't make it a complete seal as that might have made it dangerous - is that not the case?

I know Ni-cads vent but have no idea if Li-ion batteries need to vent but if they do, them being inside a stretchy balloon will allow this no problem.
The amount of vent gas won't be large. If the balloon ain't big enough to contain the vented gas yer batteries are fecked. :roll:

I didnt think li ion needed to vent in normal operation, although I'll do some more googling for the new light. if one of the cells does go though, its not going to matter whether theres a vent hole. Another good reason to use a bottle, although i think they mostly blow when charging.

Right, apologies for the taking so long, and for the crappy pictures. Here are the sunn forks, 170mm steerer, seem to work (never had them on a bike but pass the bounce test), say £45 posted or £40 at Dunkeld.

DSC00553-1.jpg

DSC00554-1.jpg

DSC00555.jpg

DSC00556.jpg

And a couple of the mannys, these feel a fair bit lighter than the sunns, 180mm steerer, also not been on a bike but pass the bounce test. Er.. £55 posted or £50 at Dunkeld.

DSC00554.jpg

DSC00553.jpg

Swaps wise I'm after a decent(ish) light(ish) wheelset, front disc, rear rim (or ideally both). Also need a 1 1/8 headset (nowt fancy).

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back