1979 Carlton Professional restoration thread

First two parts cleaned and polished. :)

Working on the headset at the moment. Ball bearings all over the worktop!

CIMG7586.jpg

CIMG7587.jpg

And a few more parts cleaned up today. I am really pleased with the condition of all parts so far.

Arabesque crank and chain rings

CIMG7602.jpg

Campag headset

CIMG7597.jpg

Seat post (From photo's on other sites this appears to be original)

CIMG7603.jpg

Re: Arabesque Brake Levers

Ralph_the_Rohan":o0muj2nw said:

Yep, agreed. I have come across two sets for sale so far. One in poor condition and one far too expensive!

Still no hurry... :D

I also want them with tan hoods if possible as I have decided on a tan saddle and natural leather bar tape. This should go well with a green colour scheme.

Speaking of colour, I know I should research this (I will, promise) but can this frame be powder-coated? There is a local powder-coater with a huge choice of colours and who is highly recomended, but is it safe to do so?

Yes it can be powder coated.

I wouldn't myself. It looks in too good nick to loose its patina, original colours and heritage. (Blimey where's my anorak).

I understand where you are coming from, and indeed I am going to rebuild it without paint first of all. But I do have a desire to have a bike in exactly the colour I want it! :D

Bugger! They look nice! :shock:

The set up on the Professional requires long-drop and I believe(d) my calipers to be part of a full arabesque group.

Is that not the case do you think? I have not seen any 600 calipers with any of the arabesque markings so had assumed it was the one component that was 'plain' 600 :?:

I personally wouldn't powdercoat 531db or equivalent gauge tubing, especially when it means destroying the original paint on the frame, but if you must, (you probably know this already) please don't leave the bottom cup/top race of the headset in the frame when you get it done.. ;)

The set up on the Professional requires long-drop

Are you sure about this? That frame looks pretty tight on brake clearance (by '70s road standards) Is it really going to need more than 57mm drop?
(edit: I just seen 39-49mm brakes at velobase, which I guess is what you would call 'short drop'... I would be calling 47-57mm 'short drop'... 39-49mm I would have to call 'extra short drop'

Back