KIRK Precision

stringfellow1946

Senior Retro Guru
Another one of my restored Bikes
Ok now for something different The KIRK Precision 1988-1992, or maybe it should have been called “Enterprise”. As it was one mans (Frank Kirk) attempt “to boldly go where no man had gone before”. Granted not everyone’s cup of tea but nonetheless a frame that in my opinion is more than worthy of preserving.
Much much rarer than your Colnago Master’s or C40’s & in a perverse sort of way, more desirable? BUT & isn’t there always a BUT nowhere near as valuable money wise. But preserving/restoring old bikes isn’t necessarily about what it might be worth but more about preserving a timeline of innovation, failures as much as successful ones.
It was Kirks idea of a one-size frame that fits all. Made of Magnesium & weighing in at a massive 2.5 KG
http://www.kirk-bicycles.co.uk/Kirk-Facts.htm
The add that used to run with this frame was it being run over by a car & being totally OK (not bent of damaged).
The professional team “TVM” briefly started using the frame in about 1990 & I did see Phil Anderson start the Brighton stage of the 1990 Kellogg’s Tour of Britain on one.
This one I’ve built up using Dura Ace 7402 Parts, STI levers, 8 Speed cassette Hub, etc, Cinelli Bars & Stem, Mavic Open 4cd rims, the saddle was on the bike when I purchased & being as the colours matched the frame I decided to leave it on.

Attachments

• _DX_8546.jpg
    _DX_8546.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 2,866
  • _DX_8549.jpg
    _DX_8549.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 2,863
  • _DX_8551.jpg
    _DX_8551.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 2,864
  • _DX_8553.jpg
    _DX_8553.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 2,863
  • _DX_8556.jpg
    _DX_8556.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 2,864
  • _DX_8557.jpg
    _DX_8557.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 2,863
  • _DX_8574.jpg
    _DX_8574.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 2,865
  • _DX_8543.jpg
    _DX_8543.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 2,866
Wonderful restoration, and with the Precision, if it has lasted this long, chances are it is one of the good ones.

I agree, well worth the time, effort and money to preserve something that's just a little different.

Not really ever my thing those Kirks, that said I like Klein Mantra's!

Despite that, I really admire that you've gone and got something you obviously have a spot for...and proceeded to restore to such amazing condition so respect due!

Re:

Nice to see another of these machines .Love to colour scheme What type of paint did you use or is it the original finish. Mine lives in the dining room :shock:

Re: Re:

bagpuss":ago8a3p8 said:
Nice to see another of these machines .Love to colour scheme What type of paint did you use or is it the original finish. Mine lives in the dining room :shock:
Its the original finish

Back