Out and about in South Staffs recently?

David B

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Couldn't believe the amount of localised flooding whilst I was training on my CX bike this afternoon on the local lanes and by-ways not far from Wolverhampton. One of the bridleways (an old colliery railway trackbed - another section was impassable where a shallow cutting had been turned into a lake of a few feet deep) had flood water pouring down it like a stream, puddles almost up to bottom bracket height in other parts. Oh, and mud aplenty. All good fun though. Anyone else in the area been plodding through similarly soggy/gloopy conditions?

Edit: had my mobile phone on me in case I needed a lift from Dad due to any severe mechanicals, but foolishly didn't use its camera function to capture the sights for posterity. :(

David

Oooh, are you up here for a few days or something? I'm in Codsall if you want to go for a ride? You can even have a home made mince pie or two. Yes, there is an awful lot of water around the place!

I was in Stafford today and the way in at radford bank was the worst flooding I have seen there for many years ! Even back towards home the river by the wolseley bridge was about a foot below the road

Iwasgoodonce":2o70zb89 said:
Oooh, are you up here for a few days or something? I'm in Codsall if you want to go for a ride? You can even have a home made mince pie or two. Yes, there is an awful lot of water around the place!

I'm around right through to New Year, spending it with my folks in Wednesfield. Might be up for shoe-horning in a ride some time (only got the 'cross bike though) depending on social commitments with family & friends, plus am racing on the 30th up in Cheshire.

All the best,
David

On a non-riding but definitely retro note, if anyone in the Wolverhampton area is interested, Fred Williams Cycles on Snow Hill currently has on display a real chunk of local cycling history, namely:

- Hugh Porter's Raleigh track bike which won him a number (4??) of world pro pursuit titles
- One of Hugh's rainbow jerseys (old-school wool of course!!)
- An all-chrome Carlton 531 track frame made as a spare for Hugh's participation in the 1964 Olympics but never fully built up.

Well worth going to see whilst the shop still has it all on display.

David

Back