Plebgate - the real question is a bike a vehicle?

From the CCTV two officers were stood by the main gate, he cycled up to the main gate and then was directed to the side gate which was opened for him. It just seems to me they went out of their way to be awkward.

I seem to recall that under whatever policy rules etc that control access to Downing Street, Mitchell did not have the right to use the Main Vehicle access (for whatever reason) and as such was supposed to use the Pedestrian Access point.

This was alledgedly pointed out to him and he apparently refused to concede the point.

The rest is History.

Bullpup":7zdtdddr said:
I seem to recall that under whatever policy rules etc that control access to Downing Street, Mitchell did not have the right to use the Main Vehicle access (for whatever reason) and as such was supposed to use the Pedestrian Access point.

This was alledgedly pointed out to him and he apparently refused to concede the point.

The rest is History.

Ok that's the bit I wanted to know, so it looks like bicycles are excluded from the main vehicle exit. But I'm sure I've seen bicycles use it in the past when they are open.

A bicycle is a Vehicle. It's part and parcel of the word vehicle itself.
(it carries a person)

Look it up.

It is not however a motor vehicle.

technodup":ut8baq0n said:
retrocomeback":ut8baq0n said:
But honesty is not the elitist posh boy Tory way now is it?

Swap 'elitist posh boy Tory' for Jewish, black, Muslim, French or homosexual and that would be moderated, deleted or locked.

Strange that the usual suspects don't see fit to point out this particular example of ism stereotyping. Anything goes if you've a few quid in your pocket, all bets are off.

Not sure what you are driving at there.

Are we to believe elitist, posh, boy or Tory are equivalent to racist language?

Don't see that myself.

More to the point, WTF is going on with that seat post/saddle??

VIDEO_ANDREW_MITCHE_339273a_zpsabf18ace.jpg

Pleb :roll:

technodup":b8chjlae said:
retrocomeback":b8chjlae said:

Swap 'elitist posh boy Tory' for Jewish, black, Muslim, French or homosexual and that would be moderated, deleted or locked.

Strange that the usual suspects don't see fit to point out this particular example of ism stereotyping. Anything goes if you've a few quid in your pocket, all bets are off.

Seriously? I'm not even going to grace that with a response

Easy_Rider":1y38h8mx said:
Never mind who called who what and putting aside any prejudices, I want to know is it policy that cycles must exit through the pedestrian exit or the officer decided or was told not to open the main gate for cycles.

Judging from Mitchell's reaction it seemed that cycles do usually exit from the main gate.

So to me it seemed either there was a security issue that day and they wanted to limit the main gate opening or the officer was just being an arse.

Either way I think it highlights bicycles awkward position on our roads, is it a vehicle or not?

Anyone know or care?

It's a vehicle, and therefore subject to the "red circle with nowt in it" road sign, which bars vehicles of any sort from a thoroughfare (I once fell foul of a beat bobby in York as a result of this*).

David

*Genuine mistake, and I got off and pushed**. Didn't give said officer an ear-bashing, too much respect for the Old Bill for that.
**Although if you do get off and push, IIRC that your bike ceases to be a vehicle and normal pedestrian rules apply (e.g. at pelicon*** crossings etc.)!
***Proper spelling. Contraction of "pedestrian light controlled", apparently. One for the pub quiz addicts?

retrocomeback":4mbn9m3f said:
technodup":4mbn9m3f said:
retrocomeback":4mbn9m3f said:

Seriously? I'm not even going to grace that with a response
And yet you did.

Why is it OK to cast aspersions on someone's honesty based on the fact you believe them to have more money than you?

Back