Le Hobbit...

Despite initial reservations, when I stopped to think about it and remembered how short many of the William K Dick stories are that became 2-hour Hollywood movies, and how little Tolkein actually tells us about chase sequences etc, then I suppose a 2 1/2 hour version of the Hobbit would have to be pretty watered down.....

the length doesn't bother me either. If it is done well, I reckon there is plenty there to fill a day of viewing.

I just hope it does not spoil the reading of the book for those who go to the film first.

LOTR is one of the greatest works of fiction ever put to paper.

With the best will in the world the films could never have matched that stature in the world of film.

The casting could have been better.

Brad Pitt, after his incredible Chanel 5 advert, is the only actor I can take seriously. He, and Johnny Depp reprising his Hunter S Thompson portrayal, should have been shoe horned in there somewhere.

highlandsflyer":1a4kpruz said:
the length doesn't bother me either. If it is done well, I reckon there is plenty there to fill a day of viewing.

I just hope it does not spoil the reading of the book for those who go to the film first.

LOTR is one of the greatest works of fiction ever put to paper.

With the best will in the world the films could never have matched that stature in the world of film.

The casting could have been better.

Brad Pitt, after his incredible Chanel 5 advert, is the only actor I can take seriously. He, and Johnny Depp reprising his Hunter S Thompson portrayal, should have been shoe horned in there somewhere.

You should not be allowed to attend any of the LOTR films, or The Hobbit, unless you can prove you have read the books!!! :LOL:

I am waiting for the Tolkien/Rowling collaboration; the fantasy romance "When Harry Met Frodo", starring Ricky Gervais as Harry Potter and Joe Pesci as Frodo.

"You said I'm funny. How am I funny? What is so funny about me?! Tell me, tell me what's funny!"

"Just sayin'! It's not because you are short, I did a whole series about that. I'm down with the little people. I mean, not literally of course. I mean I know how it feels, have you seen Stephen Merchant? "

I'm not sutre if I am going to go watch it... if it is anything liek the lotr movies, i'll be throwing stuff at the screens crying "what the hell is this, where was this in the book?" or "wha tthe hell is this character doing in this story?" type stuff...
It comes out here in boxing day...even though I grew up reading tolkien...I'll keep my head in the sand and wait till jan 8th and A Memory Of Light...that should be killer :twisted:

I saw it on Wednesday and was pretty impressed. There are loads of scenes added, and characters that don't appear in the book, however the added scenes are really well done, and the casting seem spot on. I re-read the book for the first time in over 20 years at the weekend and was shocked by how little descriptive language Tolkein uses, it's the polar opposite to LOTR and why I think a three part adaptation will work really well.

I went to see it yesterday.
It was ok, bit draggy in places.
I prefer the LOTR films.
Maybe parts 2 and 3 will blow my mind as i will go to see them anyway :D
Still significantly better than anything else i've seen this year ;)

I can'r see the attraction with LOTR, Hobbit, Harry Potter, Star Wars or any other fantasy nonsense. Just can't watch/read it. Grown men marvelling at stupid wee made up freaks with special powers. Weirdos. :roll: :LOL:

Fantasy, sci-fi, period drama. They can all gtf imo.

technodup":1c37k8w9 said:
I can'r see the attraction with LOTR, Hobbit, Harry Potter, Star Wars or any other fantasy nonsense. Just can't watch/read it. Grown men marvelling at stupid wee made up freaks with special powers. Weirdos. :roll: :LOL:

Can't you say what you really feel?

highlandsflyer":2f4le8n9 said:
technodup":2f4le8n9 said:

Can't you say what you really feel?
And forego my cloak of ambiguity?

Actually a cloak of ambiguity sounds like something out one of these kiddies books that bully victim menchildren would get all worked up over.

I'll add Games Workshop to the list above. No further explanation necessary.

Back