Vitus 979 Project

callum_t

Dirt Disciple
I've posted a few times on here, both in this section and in the buy/sell section of the Road forums.

Anyway I thought I'd take some of my spare time I have over the festive period to show my latest project. Opinions and comments are more than welcome!

An interesting mix of componentry - couple of modern bits such as the rear mech and cassette as there's 7 cogs from a modern HG cassette followed by an original UG 14th final cog to keep it all fixed onto the freewheel (small details - 2.5mm spacers and 9 sp narrow chain)

Also got this pretty cool carton cage mounted up!

Previous Build Post

Attachments

• lowiphone-2.jpg
    lowiphone-2.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 1,528
  • lowiphone-3.jpg
    lowiphone-3.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 1,528
  • lowiphone-4.jpg
    lowiphone-4.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 1,528
  • low-11.jpg
    low-11.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,528
  • low-10.jpg
    low-10.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 1,528
  • low-8.jpg
    low-8.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 1,528
  • low-2.jpg
    low-2.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 1,528
  • low-1.jpg
    low-1.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 1,529
Nice.

I like the carton holder. Handy for nipping to the shops !

I do like Vitus frames - they come across as being ahead of their time.

The carton cage is sweet hand made in sheffield too.

The whole bike feels pretty modern its a shame its abit too cramped for proper epic rides but its fine for uni and nipping in and around the city

callum_t":u378uv9m said:
The carton cage is sweet hand made in sheffield too
I saw those cages forsale at a local bike jumble! Many asked about them but walked away after they were told of the price :oops:

The Vitus is very nice but I've never liked those old W/mann levers!

Yeah Ian I was abit put off by the price but then I realised we should be supporting local brands, I put off buying one for ages untill luckily I got was as a gift for Christmas.

The W/mann levers are abit of a mis match - I dont really like them either but because I kept the Bar / Stem / Levers all taped up and with the Ronson frame.

It would be nice for my for sale stuff to sell along with my old corsair so I could decide between the Ronson steelie and the Vitus, and then sell the one I don't prefer then I wont have all the surplus of road bike that I currently have to trip over in my shed!

Like the Shimano Chainset :)

The cable for the front brake needs to go behind the bars IMHO.

Shaun

Yeah go on, as I'm actually looking at a 992 right now thats a size 50, it could just be too small for me so I'd like to see how yours is measured, also there should be a size stamped on the side of the headtube - front gear lever side.

The 992 is from abroad so want to be sure prior to bidding...postage is £££.

Many Thanks

Back