Freewheel Problem

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Hi again,

I acquired a Campag Nuovo Tipo hub this week and a Regina Oro freewheel. I was able to put the freewheel onto the hub - gently just finger tightened and perhaps not even that hard. It screwed on nicely without any undue pressure.

I tried to remove it and the problem started. It would not move. After a lot of messing about with a removing tool which I had to file to get a good fit I got it off. Obviously, something is wrong, any ideas what?

My suspicion is that the threads are wrong, the freewheel may be a French thread and the hub may not be. There was some pieces of metal left after I removed it. I believe that threads can be different pitches and I may have changed one or the other by my stupidity.

Any advice is appreciated.

Happy Christmas to all.

If you were able to screw the freewheel all the way home with your fingers then the threads are compatible............. did it go all the way?

Shaun

Shaun,

I don't think it went fully on but it went quite a bit. I was testing the suitability of he freewheel with the hub, hence my lack of force.

Is it possible that it would on ok but the threads would then prevent removal?

R

Try screwing the freewheel onto an adjustable (English) BB cup... should be the same thread. Steel to steel will give you a better idea if the block is this thread than steel to aluminium.. that's an unfair fight! Also the hub should have some writing around the shoulder where the block tightens, telling you what the thread is.

If the threads are clean you should be able to just use your fingers to seat fully. Never come across the trick with the adjustable BB cup......learn something new every day :D

Shaun

Thanks all,

I have just discovered that the freewheel is French threaded ****!!!! Any opinions as to whether I have damaged the hub? There are small metal shavings on it and the first approx. three thread seem to have been stripped ****!!!

I am rather unhappy at this festive time!

Should be OK.........way too many threads on frewheels and bottom brackets anyway :)

Just have to make sure an english freewheel doesn't start cross threaded.

Shame as Oro blocks look nice :D , I got mine NOS from Campyoldy.

Shaun

Any opinions as to whether I have damaged the hub?

Excuse my bluntness, but I would say; 'Yes you have'. And I can easily see myself doing something similar.. so thanks for the heads-up..

make sure an english freewheel doesn't start cross threaded.

May not start at all unless you clean up the start of what thread remains, perhaps with a triangular needle-file? But hold on... Easy to make things worse!

Did you ever read 'Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance', TGR? If you did, you will recognise this as a 'Gumption Trap', which could be asking you to take a step back from working on this problem with your hands, and spend some time working on it with your mind..

you said finger tight? did you ride it before you removed it? that would have well tightened it...
If the hub's not knackered you can get NOS Regina extra from SJS for £20 isn :cool:

Thanks all, the hub was it ridden. I will examine it when I am having a better day. Today has not went we'll at all.

Thanks all,

Happy Christmas

Latest posts

Back