The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Didn't get on very well with a Stanton 500 on my Technics.....

Sound improved no end when I got an Ortofon pickup. And even more when I bought a Rega from LGF!

Can anyone source replacement B&W drivers? My old mans 90's DM601i's have a driver that seems to be making an odd noise and apart from that they are mint. Hoping we can get a replacement driver from somewhere.

They look like these ones:
img25522_real.jpg

Thanks,

Carl.

drcarlos":2c9xsb5a said:
Can anyone source replacement B&W drivers? My old mans 90's DM601i's have a driver that seems to be making an odd noise and apart from that they are mint. Hoping we can get a replacement driver from somewhere.

They look like these ones:
img25522_real.jpg

Thanks,

Carl.

Best replaced as a pair.

Maplin may do drivers that will fit and be of decent quality. The originals wouldnt have been stupidly expensive in the first place. Try also looking for a set on ebay. Sometimes the replacements can be better sounding than the originals!

flibble":t3nfst6c said:
I'm getting a shed load of hiss on high end vocals and the like (think esses sounding like the snake on the jungle book). It's only on Vinyl.

The setup is a Technics 1210 turntable on a Yamaha A-S500 amp with bi-wired Wharfdale Diamond 9.1s. It's on a stanton D500 cart and the vinyl is clean (and the needle appears to be too).

I'm pretty sure I've done something daft though the arm seems well balanced and it's not a constant hiss and only on the high end range. Mid and low seems fine. If anyone can point out the error of my ways (no matter how daft it may seem), please give me a shout.

LGF, I had to retire my Rotel amp last year - they sound lovely but mine developed a static fault around the volume and Main/ remote switches. Switch cleaner didn't fix it :cry:

How old are your cartridges ? As moving magnet carts do wear out over time so a new cart and stylus may be worth a punt, for cheap try audio technica . Stantons have never been known for sound quality they are just hard as nails for mixing with .

One other thing to check is the four wires that connet cart to the headshell as they maybe a little slack

Ant

Not sure there's anything to wear out in the cartridge itself. The suspension and magnets are part of the stylus, all that's in the cart body is coils.

Good chap for carts on eBay though is http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Thakker-UK?_tr ... 7675.l2563. I had an AT120E/2 off him a bit back. Value for money, well packed, fast delivery.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
They have moving magnets inside which wear out over time , unless its a moving coil then the stylus cannot be removed . I used to work within the industry and its a common thing to wear out .

Ant

The magnets are on the stylus, hence 'moving magnet'. The magnets on the stylus shank move in the flux gap of the coils, generating the voltage. Moving coil, the coils are on ths stylus shank moving in a magnet gap. Because the coils are physically attached to the stylus, this is why the stylus is non-replaceable. I'm ex industry too. A&R / Arcam, 1980s.

http://www.djworx.com/skratchworx/image ... orto_5.jpg

Back