PROJECT DYNA TECH - Build Thread

Bold. Could be a nice build, how's it coming along?

Reminds me of one of my builds from a few years back:

terrybike002.jpg

http://s597.photobucket.com/albums/tt55/Telsun/Eclipse/

Hi Tel,

Nice bike! Similar shade of green. Took a look through the photobucket album - looks great.

The build is going well. I don't have any photos from this evenings work, but I managed to take it for a maiden voyage, albeit with no brakes or gears! The 7sp cassette and spacer work well, and the spacer has solved the clearance issue with the frame.

I have ordered new tecktro brake levers as one of the current brakes is damaged. The last job will be to fit some new cables and set up the gears / brakes. Also got some new bar tape.

On the seat post issue - no, didn't get it out. At some point in the future I might try again, but bearing in mind it's at the perfect height for me, I decided to leave it be - rather than damaging something. In fact I decided to spray it applejack too. I'll just tell people it's an integrated seat post! Haha - that is technically true after all.

2efb2a1a2ff1eb14d99e65e64f0a9c3f.jpg

I will sort some decals out too at some point.

The bike rides really well. I have to say that although this started out as a 'build a winter hack' idea the bike has kind of won me over! It's too nice to be a winter hack. So I can see it getting plenty of use over the summer too.

Will post some good pics when all is done. My deadline is this weekend coming.

N

Got a break in the rain to get a couple of shots.

Still to do:

New brake levers
Clean cable outers
Fit new cable inners
New bar tape
Set up of gears / brakes / positioning of bars etc

Ride it!!!

28b0259ff739c0d8e7c43019c9b6103c.jpg

78a23d07e22ad8f96a9c703ede77d866.jpg

N

Final pictures to come, but last night I got the new tecktro levers fitted, the cable outers cleaned out, and the new inners (gear and brake) fitted. What a bugger it was trying to route the rear brake cable which is routed inside the top tube. No doubt there is a simple technique but I did not discover it last night.

This will definitely come in under budget. Current costs are:

26 - Bike
25 - Postage
40 - Paint / Sandpaper etc
10 - Tecktro Brake Levers
18 - Schwalbe Blizzard Sports
10 - 7sp Cassette and Spacer (to fit an 8sp hub)
06 - Bar Tape
05 - Set of new Gear and Brake Cables
Free - Seat
Free - Wheels
Free - Sram dual pivot brakes
Free - Pedals (Shimano R540)

Total Cost = £140 and about 15 hours work, most of that spent prepping for paint.

There will be some additional cost re' sourcing some decals for the bike. It has lost its original decals and Raleigh emblem. I'd like to replace those at some point.

N

Looks nice. I like the colour scheme and I think if you get the right decals it will finish the job off nicely.

It's amazing what you can create for not a lot of cash. Also if find building bikes nearly as much fun as riding them !

vivelesalpes":oztyldy3 said:
Looks nice. I like the colour scheme and I think if you get the right decals it will finish the job off nicely.

It's amazing what you can create for not a lot of cash. Also if find building bikes nearly as much fun as riding them !

You are right! I love tinkering. It's a strange mix though, because part of me wants to get the job done ASAP, but then when it's all finished, I miss not having anything to take apart!

I made a boob, and ordered green bar tape. I don't know why I did that. Impulse probably. Anyway, it's a bright green and doesn't suit the bike at all. Will post a pic tomorrow. It will have to do, and come spring ill change it.

Need to think carefully about decals!

N

I'm sure the tape will calm down after you've got a few winter miles in.

(I wish my Mrs would let me bring my bikes indoors. Mine are banished to my man cave outside.)

vivelesalpes":36tyxjc7 said:
I'm sure the tape will calm down after you've got a few winter miles in.

(I wish my Mrs would let me bring my bikes indoors. Mine are banished to my man cave outside.)

Good point on the tape. Yes under normal circumstances I wouldn't be allowed them anywhere near the house. I've had loads of work to do on both bikes, the weather has been crap, I only have a small shed, so I think my wife just took pity on me and allowed them in 1) so that they would both get done sooner rather than later, and 2) to stop me moping about!

She actually took some interest in the work I was doing. I talked her through fitting new cables and she helped me tape the bars.

What a star :) but I've now been told to get them back in the flipping shed!

N

Back