which set of brake levers for this bike?

GazK

Retro Guru
My Raleigh Gran Sport build is nearing completion, with only brakes and pedals left to source. Build thread is here:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1754454#1754454

IMAG0526.jpg

I want to fit a set of aero non-sti brake levers, with black hoods. I originally wanted to fit a set with drilled or slotted levers, but it seems as though those went out of fashion before aero came into fashion.

Can anyone recommend a set which will broadly match the quality of the kit I've fitted to date (mostly Dura Ace, Record and Ultegra) and not have to sell a kidney to get hold of? I'm running it with a temporary set of Exages but they are fugly.

I use dura ace 7400 slr on my Olagnero and they are lovely...but came across a pair of Exage ( much cheaper and NOS knocking about ) which I'd be hard pressed to tell apart on a blind test, except the exage has slight comfier padded hoods. 10 cents :LOL:

Thanks for the ideas... I should have mentioned that I'm set on getting monoplaner calipers. I would have like to have gotten campy levers to go with these, but the campy/aero/black/non-sti venn diagram only seems to have one item in it, and non of those have come up for sale lately.

Those D-A levers look awfully nice, but I imagine the price tag will reflect that...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
How about 6400 non aero levers. These are a stock item in the shop. I also keep 6401 levers.

Anyhow where ever you get them from these are fab levers and would be my choice if using shimano kit.

Campag levers from the late 80's or early 90's would also suit. They also work well but I prefer to use these on build that use campag components.

bm0p700f":1mpoxs40 said:
How about 6400 non aero levers. These are a stock item in the shop. I also keep 6401 levers.

Anyhow where ever you get them from these are fab levers and would be my choice if using shimano kit.

Campag levers from the late 80's or early 90's would also suit. They also work well but I prefer to use these on build that use campag components.
can't see them on the website? price? :)

Thanks, but I'm dead set on aero levers; I'm basically building the bike I dreamt of when I was 15 yrs old, and back then aero was everything.

Back