forum suggestion: thread ignore function

John":cds1quul said:
If there is a genuine demand for such a function I'll look into it...

cce":cds1quul said:
The forum software used is very old. You wont get features like that.

As far as I know John isnt upgrading because the front end of the website is tied into it too.

Interesting perspective, where did you hear this? The forum software will be updated, I'd hoped to get it done and dusted by the end of this year. However given the complexity of unpicking various customisations and more importantly the size of the database it never happened. I ran some trial migrations, these tied the (admittedly fairly mediocre) laptop up for almost a week updating the database to the new level.

I'm sure you've said something along those lines before.

But maybe it was a while ago

The ignore facility is just a mind trick for lazyness and a weak mind

Lets say there is a member who gets on my tits, by putting them on ignore it won't stop them posting and you will more than likely still see xxxx posted but you will not see the content of their post

Ignore however will not stop that post being seen if it is copy and pasted by another member

No one forces you to read others posts or reply to them because someone on the internet you feel is wrong

It is more than possible and incredibly easy to ignore/skim/not read another members posts and you don't need a shiney button to do so

but hey..if it helps weaker minds ....

Leaving aside the glaring flaw in your argument, where do you get off being so pompous and patronising?

I would find an "ignore thread" function useful to manage the classified ads, however if the above is typical of your contributions then I could go for an "ignore member" function too.

ScillySuffolk":17qzmjg4 said:
Leaving aside the glaring flaw in your argument, where do you get off being so pompous and patronising?

I would find an "ignore thread" function useful to manage the classified ads, however if the above is typical of your contributions then I could go for an "ignore member" function too.

I don't get off being patronising and pompous...I just am

Despite your claim of a flaw, your own post highlights perfectly my point... You could just as easily ignored it but because of your weak mind you were unable to

People like you will claim to put others on ignore but secretly never will because you look for people on the Internet just to tell them they are wrong and your are right

I rest my case your honor

erm, i fink he ment it wud be gud if der woz sum way of marking freds as red in d 4 sale bit ennit, to stop him reading dem agen.

i fink dis wud be gud 2.

as wen i cleer cukys and histry on d lappy i forget what i red ennit

Wkd :LOL:

I have seen in other forums an ignore member option and understand some would like that option

But I agree Charlie, I think the op was originally suggesting some kind of indexing ignore button around the sale section primarily.

I did think we had the new threads option? But not a way of focusing on the sale section so to ignore already searched threads... John or the techies will be able to clarify that I'm sure

Personally no matter how many times I search the for sale sections I always look over the last few days multiple times in case I miss something... A bit like ebay just in case some one sneaky put a jewel in.

top right, mark all topics read, they then lose the update/new wiggle thing. job done

or just use the view posts since last visit

:D

Thanks Longun, but the ad still appears in the forum and is bumped to the top whenever it is updated.

Once I have discounted an ad, if I could "ignore" it then it would not show in the forum and I wouldn't have to keep reading the same ads to see if they are of any interest to me.

Back