Help with fitting new rear shock - anyone?

ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
Hi, I thought I'd put this in this forum as i don't believe it goes in the other one.

Here's what I wrote so far and my latest concern and point of help is at the end.

If anyone can help, I'd be most grateful!

I am in a spot of bother, I have a RST 22a rear shock currently fitted onto my bike (Raleigh RSP) with following dimensions of the top and bottom parts.

(sizes are approx as I have no accurate caliper and just using a tape measure)

width of top inc bushes = 31mm
width of bottom inc bushes = 22mm
bolt diameter = 6mm

However my Rock Shox Monarch 4.2 (2010 model bought from CRC) has different sized ends. The size of the shock is the same (165x3:cool:

Would the Rock Shox Rear Shock Mount Hardware 1/2"x 1/2" be the thing to go for to replace the bits in the RS Monarch to fit the required size?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=54654

I called http://www.tftunedshox.com/ and they said they can't help me as Rock Shox Monarch I have do not have a standard size - I have no idea about what he was saying to be honest.

My RS Monarch are the same ones as these;
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=53319

Is it possible to replace the bushings to the correct size required (as my RST shock)

The guy at tftunedshox said i should return the RS for a refund and get a more modern shock.

Is it possible to fit the RS onto my RSP bike? And rid myself of the heavy RST 22a?

Or is there an alternative shock I could buy?

Well, I managed to order the correct sizes from CRC!
Which have arrived today.
They look to be spot on right size.
Pulling out the old standard hardware from the eyelets in the RS Monarch was easy.
It should not be a problem getting the new hardware in.

I pulled the old hardware out, and put the new hardware in - easy enough the hardware is 3 piece - 1 tube to go in the 1/2" bushing eyelet, and two end washer things.

when fitted the dimensions of the top and bottom of the shock is exactly the same as the RST 22a.

Anyway, the shock fits both ends flush inside the top and bottom parts of the pivot swing arm thing on the frame.

I put the bolts through, and one side of each bolt has a Nyloc type nut.
Which doesn't screw on tight and flush - leaving a gap which means the shocks aren't secure - now I need to sort this problem.
new bolts perhaps?
Or am I missing a washer or two? Or have done something wrong?? Or have I misplaced something?

It doesn't make sense, as the shock plus hardware at both ends is EXACTLY the same size as the old shocks hardware which fit inside thepivot arm things on the frame the same way - but the bolts tightened well and secure enough when the old one was fitted.

This is driving me NUTS!

cyfa2809":1z6s7nid said:
Try wahsers maybe or shorter bolt. Do you have pictures?

I'll take some pictures tomorrow morning, off to bed now..

And where can I source the bolts from??

It's all so confusing! :(

Depends on the bolt. Chances are its a pretty standard bolt though, i expect m6 thread at a guess. Ebay.

not quite as simple as that - there will be some sort of bush or adatper that fits into the shock's eyelet to give a 6 or 8 mm diameter hole (most common sizes) and then if you are lucky, a standard m6 or m8 bolt and nut/nyloc to hold it in place - some bikes have special bolts like this one for example:

140.jpg

Cheers man, I really need to photograph the shock and that'd give clear picture. I know it 6mm sized holes. The bolts just seem too long

Cheers man, I really need to photograph the shock and that'd give clear picture. I know it 6mm sized holes. The bolts just seem too long

CRC managed to sell the correct Hardware and all is ok.

Back