kingroon

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Wow, I feel like I've stepped into a room I've never ventured into before :D

I've been thinking about cycling to work and possibly doing to odd Road Mile at the weekends and need to get a bike that suits.. So.. I'm 6'1" and a bit..

56-58cm Aluminium frame, 105 geared, 2000 onwards [the year] etc.

I've been looking on the 'Bay but it is a minefiled.. Not sure how much I should be paying for this sort of bike either so some guidance would be most welcome :?

Personally I'd get a bike with space for mudguards. Giant OCRs and FCRs are good choices. They go for around 400 quid new, expect half that on resale.

hamster":2b0z7tuf said:
..Giant OCRs and FCRs are good choices..

Cheers mate, I've seen a few of these. How compact is the Compact design? Is the TT just an inch or so off the norm?

They are not so extreme - maybe about 1-2" depending on size.

My pal who's 6'2" has one and loves it to bits. FCR3.0 if I remember rightly. The frame is beautifully finished. The Sora kit is a bit heavy, but he's slowly upgrading it as it begins to wear out (but the bike's just done a second winter of commuting.)

Best of all there's space for mudguards so it's a real do-anything machine. You could probably get cyclocross tyres to fit even.

LOL!

I'm just worried sometimes if he thinks it's surprising that all things at the tip are secured by big D-locks ;-)

Is his tip just outside Waterloo Station?

kingroon":13jtasz9 said:
hamster":13jtasz9 said:
..Giant OCRs and FCRs are good choices..

Cheers mate, I've seen a few of these. How compact is the Compact design? Is the TT just an inch or so off the norm?

I've got a medium size 50 and I normally ride a 23" 'normal' frame. I do have a lot of seat pillar showing though. However, don't Giant now do a 'large medium', roughly half way between medium and large, or is this only in the top end bikes?

Can't go too wrong with any of the big brands. Specialized, Trek, Giant etc.

Some of the prices on new bikes are very good, esp around the 400 / 500 quid mark. Take a look in cycling weekly to see what some of the big mail order places are doing. Even the boardman bikes in hellfrauds seem to be super value.

Size wise I'd try a 58cm (c-c) and go from there either up or down depending on personal preference.

Cheers for the info guys :D

Does anyone rate Scott bikes? Never been a fan of their MTBs, but this looks quite good?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back