Mikede's Indigo 1996 Stumpjumper....UPDATE Dec. 18th.....

mikede

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I picked up this frame from Dablk a few weeks ago. This morning I decided what direction it would take. Basically I needed something that I could get dirty, without worrying about it. This definitely won't be an 'original' build, more like an 'equip it as I see fit, period correct' build.

For the components, I had originally wanted to go M737/8 f & r mech's. But considering the framecolor is a bit on the classy side, I decided that m735 with the nice shiny nameplates would better suit it vs. the industrial matte on the later models.

So I shot down to my mancave and started working. Earlier in the day, I had already polished a set of Strongarm's that I thought were too far gone. I started with 360grit, dry then wet. I hit it with some crocus-cloth, then some polishing compound. For the 2hrs invested, I was pretty happy.

I pulled the wheels off of the Ti, and threw them on, along with the 8spd road cassette. The chain length was still ok, so I threw on the crank & ring, chain and mechanism. Ran the cable and I now have gears. I'm still looking for a 24t granny...a proper 8spd 11-28 MTB cassette will be installed along with a fresh chain when the rest of the drivetrain is sorted.

Looking at the wheels when I first got them, I didn't think they would go with the Indigo. I was pleasantly surprised once I saw them mounted. Still needs some retro knobby's. The Controltech's skewers were also on the previous project, and may very well stay on this one.

The brake levers were Karma from Ultimecia, and just so happened to be those that were OE on the '96, almost. Since it had grip-shift, it had the PC-7n's(temp. mounted), with the big flange that sat against the grip-shift mechanisms. These PC-7's have a standard band. They will be sanded/painted and the handles repolished. They're coupled to STX canti's, but I hate canti's so I dunno how long they'll last.

Anyway, sorry for the crappy pics. Using a 50mm prime and my basement is too small:

stumpy6.jpg

stumpy1.jpg

stumpy5.jpg

stumpy4.jpg

stumpy_1.jpg

stumpy2.jpg

stumpy3.jpg

stumpy7.jpg

stumpy8.jpg

More to come soon....

That looks very nice mate. Love the frame colour :cool:

It's been a while since I updated, but in the time since much work has been done.

Frame: 1996 Stumpjumper

Fork:Original Direct Drive

Headset: Ritchey
Stem: Controltech
Handlebar: Ritchey ForceLite
Grips: ODI Attacks
Barends: hahahaha...bar ends, so silly.

Brakes: Magura HS33
Brake Pads: Standard
Brake Cables: Brake what??
Cantilever cable hangers: in my toolbox...
Brake Levers: Magura

Shifters: XT M732 Thumbies..
Front Derailleur: XT M739
Rear Derailleur: XT M737 ShortCage
Derailleur Cables: Cheap ones
Cassette: SRAM pg 850 11-28
Chain: SRAM pc70
Cranks: Strongarm
Chainrings: 42/32/22(??/Stronglight/Sugino)
Chainring bolts: Metal
Bottom Bracket: UN55 - 113mm
Pedals:xt M735

Hub Skewers: Odyssey(?)
Rims: Mavic 231
Hubs: Hope Ti_Glide(new bearings :roll: )
Nipples: 2
Spokes: long ones
Tyres: Smart Sam(for now)
Tubes: Schwalbe heavyweights or something

Saddle: Flite Ti(205g)
Seatpost: Controltech 27.2 w/ shim
Seatpost Binder: X-Lite

Weight: Dunno, not done yet....

I originally wanted to go silver/polished parts with this one BUT I changed my mind after temporarily mounting the Controltech stem and Ritchey bars. I threw in a basic modern Ritchey headset and ditched the Controtech skewers as it was too much purple, the hubs are enough.

Speaking if the hubs, I had bought this 'superb condition' wheelset from another member to find that the rear axle was nearly seized upon arrival. Seems that the included cassette was stuck on the freehub body and someone tried to use a puller, against the axle, to get it off. I got the cassette off & cleaned up the freehub body. Upon mounting, I found play in the wheel. About 2-3mm at the braking surface SOOO I ordered new bearings from Wiggle. Installed and NOW 3weeks and €20 later, now there in superbly serviceable condition.

I had also made the decision on the drivetrain: the original 42/32/22 'rings with an 11-28 cassette. I chose the SRAM PG850, along with a matching SRAM chain(pc70?). I picked up a 22t Sugino from another member and it was pure luck that I found that new 32t Stronglight at Fahrrad Kalker, for £9!! Still looking for a 42t to finish it off.

At the rear is an m737 Short-cage(thanks Vinevo) and an m739 for the front. Both look great and play the part nicely.

And the sweetest piece so far has to be the Controltech seatpost. Searched far and wide. Picked up a nice example from a fellow MTB-news'er, it arrived this morning and was quickly put into service. Atop this fine piece of equipment, is the standard Flite Ti.

The fresh ODI's will go on once the brakes do, speaking of which,
my loathing of all things 'Canti' forced me to use another method to stop me, more on that next installment...

Onto the Pics:
Stumpy_dec1.jpg

Stumpy_dec5.jpg

Stumpy_dec4.jpg

Stumpy_dec6.jpg

Stumpy_dec7.jpg

Stumpy_dec9.jpg

Stumpy_dec11.jpg

Stumpy_dec8.jpg

And one more:
Stumpy_dec13.jpg

Rahbari":ks46otbl said:
Nice! :D Personally, I would prefer silver hubs.

I'm always on the lookout......

BTW i'm not done yet so don't mind the scraggly cable ends, no brakes, old-a$$ Ghost-edition Smart Sam's, etc..

Nice one! I have the same frame also in indigo. Going for a fresh powder coat soon though, as mine is getting pretty used...

Rio":1hyx28g2 said:
Nice one! I have the same frame also in indigo. Going for a fresh powder coat soon though, as mine is getting pretty used...

Gets better than that..your nos grip shift. Where meant to be sitting on that exact frame.

Looks great built up mike.

All the best with both your builds.
;)

Soooo tasty! I adore the sophistication of the frame, it's colour and it's build. I'd dearly love to get hold of one of these someday :).

^Yeah, after X-mas i'll order a 42t.

BTW the brakes came yesterday. Now I can actually ride it. I'll have another update soon....

Back