1997 Kona Kula - Controversial new colour..?

OrangeRetro

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Well, I though it was about time to stick up a post for My 97 Kula project. :D

At the moment it is just a frame and some triple butted project 2's, but I have a nice shiney new set of decals, in grey.. to give me plenty of colour options! The P2's are going gun metal grey and have the correct period P2 decals to suit.

It's going to be a single speed and will hopefully be ready for the summer.

Theres a sneeky peek of the 1994 AArghh!! in the background as well. that wil be finished soon (no more purple.. :( :D )!!

Attachments

• Konarama.jpg
    Konarama.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 6,750
  • P2s.jpg
    P2s.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 6,750
  • Decals.jpg
    Decals.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 6,749
  • Frame.jpg
    Frame.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 6,750
nice, I really like that year of Kona's, the whole catalogue was a bit of a dream read for me at the time (especially the Hei Hei and the Hot) the Red of the colour is one of the better reds too, if that makes sense?

theboy":1hr47ey2 said:
the Red of the colour is one of the better reds too, if that makes sense?

It does, The red is a lovely deep metalic, shame it's so trashed! I may try and find a similar red or just go for something completely different. I kind of like the way the AA has turned out in white..

I don't want to sound as though I'm from mtbr, but the problem with changing the colour is that you can lose more than you gain. For example, if you're considering painting the Kula white, why not just put the Kula decals on the AA instead? Nobody would know the difference and nobody's going to think a white bike with grey pseudo-97 Kula decals is a genuine Kula anyway, even if it is one. Thinking of it in terms of market value, I'm pretty sure that a frame in the authentic colour with authentic decals will be worth around twice as much as a one-off, and not without good reason IMHO. Plus the Kula is superb as it is.

Anthony":2qd0fkt1 said:
I don't want to sound as though I'm from mtbr, but the problem with changing the colour is that you can lose more than you gain. For example, if you're considering painting the Kula white, why not just put the Kula decals on the AA instead? Nobody would know the difference and nobody's going to think a white bike with grey pseudo-97 Kula decals is a genuine Kula anyway, even if it is one. Thinking of it in terms of market value, I'm pretty sure that a frame in the authentic colour with authentic decals will be worth around twice as much as a one-off, and not without good reason IMHO. Plus the Kula is superb as it is.

I can kind of see your point, apart from the fact that the two frames are a million miles apart in the way they are constructed. There are plenty of details on the kula that would indentify it as a 97 kula, even if it was a different colour.. but you know that better then anyone.

For me the value of it doesn't matter, I'm building a bike for me, and if I sell it at a later date it will be worth what its worth. In the mean time I am going to as much trouble as possible to finish it to as high a standard as possible. Either way it should look good, or at least the way i want it to.

Still, I'm tempted to keep it red, because you are right, it does look good..

Might i ask where you got those decals, and if you don't mind telling, how much you paid. 1997 is my favourite year too, something about the tropical leaves on the decals just sums up evrything that was good about mountain biking in the late 1990s.

And please consider Anthonys advice, the Kula really looks very good as-is, and if you use the decals on the AA it will help you forget...............well, you know, that colour. ;)

The decals are from the sticky guru Gil_m... ;)

Why does everyone want me to put Kula stickers on an AA?? :? You will notice some fine 94' decals next to the frame... ;)

I have to admit that the 97 Kula colours are very cool and if I was looking at doing a faithful restoration to original spec then yes I would have ordered yellow decals and yes I would be hunting down all of the original parts.

But I'm not. The Kula frame is a great basis for a build, a nice lightweight Easton frame, whatever colour it is! :D

And here it is, sprayed pink with green spots, then plasted with grey stickers... :shock: or maybe not... :D

Yes Anthony was right, the pesky Kona guru, - 1997 was the best year and Kona knew what they were doing with the colours..

consider it restored..! ;)

Attachments

• kula.jpg
    kula.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 6,053
Back