Mavic rims??? Meaning!!

SUP – Soude Usine Process – very loosely translated = "Factory Welded Process". Rims are made from long bent extrusions of alloy. The ends of the extrustion, once bent into a circle, needs to be joined and this can be done through an inexpensive and rough pin joint or by welding. All better quality aluminum rims are welded instead of using looser and less expensive pin joints as welding is more consistent, laterally stiffer, and more durable. When combined with a braking surface milling process like UB Control, a welded rim also offers smoother braking performance and better modulation. SUP is found on all alloy rim Ksyrium, R-Sys and Cosmic wheels.

from here:

http://fitwerx.com/product-reviews/whee ... iles/mavic

twain":3uu2oe65 said:
SUP – Soude Usine Process – very loosely translated = "Factory Welded Process".
There are a couple of missing accents that make a subtle difference to the meaning. "Soudé" means welded. "Usine" is a noun meaning factory, but "usiné" is an adjective meaning milled or machined. So a slightly better translation is "welded machined process".

http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_st-z.html#sup

"After bending, the rim joint is arc welded. The welded seam is then milled for a smooth finish".

You can't beat a smooth finish :)

Attachments

• 9393.jpg
    9393.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 379
Definitely they make a smoother-braking rim. I'd question the durability - spoke tension holds any joint together, but I have had two Mavic rims fail where the rim has cracked tangentially along the braking surface from the weld point.

A simple pinned joint doesn't have the weakness from the weld to initiate cracks.

it was the mavic front hubs that used to fail on me!

turns out that they didn't like being radially spoked and hurtled down long pothole strewn stirlingshire descents - two or three of the flange holes would give way at a time - they made a dramatic BANG! sound before sending the rim into a disconcerting "s" shape before one's bloodshot and streaming eyes!!

:shock:

For all those from the dark ages we all remember the "thump..thump....thump" as we squeezed the brakes on the old Fiamme / AVA / Superchamp rims as they passed over the join :)

Happy days LOL

Shaun

Back