Terrys Chocolate Orange anyone? "Bluey" FINISHED

matt24777":vt5jt8bi said:
The crankset arrived back from Middleburn today. :D

No explanation given, but the granny ring now sport some 1.6mm thick alloy spacers between the ring and spider.

Will refit and try them out at the weekend. :)

Seem to remember, I had exactly the same problem with a Middleburn set of rings a few years back too, Ironically on a Clockwork.
It was the offset on the Middle ring, if you look, they are extremely thick and the chamfer from the teeth to the bolts is so sharp it throws the ring off, so much so that it misses the granny ring altogether.
I fitted some Race face ones and they shifted perfectly.
The lack of explanation smacks of "Guilty as charged M'lud" I would bet if you replaced just the middle ring with a narrow ring from another manufacturer such as TA/Sugino or Shimano, it would work.
Having to fit a 1.6mm spacer is certainly non standard practice!

it's the modern rings I think, still no comment from Middleburn, however I will say I paid to send it to them, but they haven't charged me for anything so as long as this works I'm happy. :)

rings

The modern rings are machined offset and the modern spiders have thicker arms than the older ones, so spacing is too close.
Older rings had the teeth machined in the centreline of the ring, so even and wider spacing.

The "new" m900 Front Mech arrived from the states at last :D :D and the chainset has been fitted up with the new spacers.

This time I got it all set up and indexing correctly in about 15 mins! :LOL:

Quick spin round the block and the front shifting seems more or less spot on now! Hoo - Bloody- Ray!

The only thing that is a slight irritation is the rear shifting. The accuracy of the shift is fine, but the Sachs wavey shifter and Ultegra Rear mech combo is soooooooooo heavy, it's rubbing the skin off my right hand!!! Ouch!

Now is this the Ultegra Rear mech? The cable routing or the Shifter? Anyone got any knowledge on this one?

I'm going to strip it back down after Xmas and take the frame/forks and Stem for blasting & powdercoating.... :shock:

matt24777":y3fh4q0n said:
The "new" m900 Front Mech arrived from the states at last :D :D and the chainset has been fitted up with the new spacers.

This time I got it all set up and indexing correctly in about 15 mins! :LOL:

Quick spin round the block and the front shifting seems more or less spot on now! Hoo - Bloody- Ray!

The only thing that is a slight irritation is the rear shifting. The accuracy of the shift is fine, but the Sachs wavey shifter and Ultegra Rear mech combo is soooooooooo heavy, it's rubbing the skin off my right hand!!! Ouch!

Now is this the Ultegra Rear mech? The cable routing or the Shifter? Anyone got any knowledge on this one?

I'm going to strip it back down after Xmas and take the frame/forks and Stem for blasting & powdercoating.... :shock:

I remember the Sachs Wavey shifters having the same effect on my Skin BITD! After a long ride, my right Thumb web would be bleeding and very sore!
The Sram shifters were a great improvement, but I still prefer Suntour Thumbies, lighter and way more positive.

Wavey

I found the profile of the grips was a lot to do with the problem and they always seemed very stiff to shift with?

Frame, forks and the stem are now at ABC Enamelling in Nailsea for a blast and powder coat. Should be ready for pick up in about a week or so.
:D :D

Now I just need to find somewhere that can re-anodise some parts for me. :?:

Anybody able to recommend anywhere in the Somerset/Bristol Area?

It's Back!

Picked up the frame, forks and the 2 stems I took to ABC Enamelling this afternoon, They are pretty good, not perfect but for £60 and a 1 week turnaround you really can't complain!

main.php

main.php

main.php

I had the Syncros done as it was very scruffy and I'm going to flog it on, cost me no more with it or without so why not!

Back