1989 Doug Bradbury Manitou - 1st update complete

Mr.Toad":19e1wksm said:
Doesn't get much better than this, stunning bike.

How does it ride?

I don't ride my bikes =)

I've only had a brief opportunity to test it at a very small local park. I rode it just as I got it after it sat for a year, the front fork was locked out as the elastomers were dead, it had those monster Kenda 2.6 tires on it that weigh a metric ton and the bike really needed a tune up, so please keep all of that when I say the following:

IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The main thing I will say is that the bike feels very planted and confident. It's not the most agile thing in the world, but not a lumbering hulk either. There is a short and very steep hill and I went up and down that and it was very good. Good climbing in the seat and still well planted out of the seat. Stable on the descent.

I think with the lighter rigid fork and slimmer and therefore lighter tires it'll be even better. Plus once I add some disc tabs and put some M970 XTR on it'll be awesome ;)

mkozaczek":2zef6c0l said:
.. once I put some M970 XTR on it I'm sure the shifting will improve ;)

Have you looked into how much Disk Tabs will cost yet? ;)

kingroon":1v6armig said:
mkozaczek":1v6armig said:
.. once I put some M970 XTR on it I'm sure the shifting will improve ;)

Have you looked into how much Disk Tabs will cost yet? ;)

I have a drill at home and was just going to drill and tap some holes and then bolt them on. So it should be fairly cheap

I shouldn't like this at all due to the massive "scene tax" attached to it...

But then the hand-machined, industrial quality and detailing shines through :shock:

MikeD":9m1b9r5i said:
We_are_Stevo":9m1b9r5i said:
Sorry, but I don't get it :?

Why is this bike an any more likely candidate for BoTY than the Cleland featured earlier this year that so polarised popular opinion?

Surely you've answered your own question here?

Not really; I'm afraid it just goes over my head when people start hyper-ventilating over one bike and not another?

All the criticisms levelled at the Cleland could equally apply to this bike (and no, I'm not a great fan of either...) but I'm willing to bet they won't be.

We_are_Stevo":236k28qz said:

Why is this bike an any more likely candidate for BoTY than the Cleland featured earlier this year that so polarised popular opinion?
why you believe what one or two people say? ;)

Nader":h1ia21mh said:
We_are_Stevo":h1ia21mh said:

why you believe what one or two people say? ;)

Perhaps because I have a mind of my own and have never 'followed the herd...'

...and whilst I think the full suss. Manitou/Marin models are things of beauty that can never be equalled let alone bettered, this one does nothing for me except as an historical reference point.

Surely, if someone is remotely interested in mountain biking then all bikes are equally cool or equally naff?

I`d be interested to view this bike in a cycle museum display, in context with the others of the time, but I wouldn't be remotely interested in owning/riding it...

...which is just my opinion, and in no way detracts from the OP's joy at finding his Holy Grail at long last; there are just aspects of this scene I doubt I'll ever fully understand! :?

well I think sometimes some people react very emotional on the basis of a history or memories.

say

sinnerman":2b0lr15v said:

There have been some amazing bikes on here this year, and some near perfect recreations too, but this Original, has got to be the best of the best.

:cool:
that's a bit exaggerated :D

We_are_Stevo":wd4lzoln said:
...and whilst I think the full suss. Manitou/Marin models are things of beauty that can never be equalled let alone bettered, this one does nothing for me except as an historical reference point.

Really??? I think those early Mani FS bikes are/were cool, but in reality they were an inferior mechanical design that were further hindered by the material selection. So, pretty and shiny sure, but "unequalled"? nah

Back