Storing Tubular Tyres

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
My low pro has tubs. One is 700 and the other 650 I think. The back one came away from the rim. I suspect the glue/tape dried out and that was that.

What is the best way to store them as this bike lives up in the loft for much of the time. So,

On the bike?
Off the bike?
Inflated?
Deflated?
Enough air to hold shape?
Rolled up?
Hanging up?

What would be best?

Thanks as always.

on a very similar note can I ask as to how long the glue/tape lasts, my front wheel has had same tub no punctures for 20 odd years (but obviously not done thousands of miles) and thinking really should replace as expect to be on road more,

my excuse is the bike has been on indoor trainer for much of last decade........... :roll:

I guess really should replace but not sure I can be bothered with all the "tub hassle" and just use cheap 700c alternative.

I never left my tubs in a loft! ...Dry/Damp/Hot/Cold conditions... recipe for rotting tubs.

Used to have my wheels in my bedroom off the floor and inflated to 50psi every month, tyres left on the floor can crack/crease on the flat spot.

just my two pennies worth.

For a start, definitely not rolled up!

For unused tubs or tubs on their own, I think best would be flat on their sides, in a dark cool place (not freezing cold), not piled up too high, maybe no more than about 5. Putting them in wheel bags as well wouldn't any harm either. But you would quite a large surface and/or multiple large surfaces for this so it's not always practical.

If you've got the space I suppose the ideal would be a very tall and large chest of drawers, like those that hold drawings but each drawer would be a bit taller.

Next best would be same as above (a few tubs in wheel bags) but stored upright on the floor. Then you can put them in a wardrobe or cupboard. You'd need to rotate them occasionally.

For tubs already on wheels; take them off the bike, put wheel covers on or put them in a wheel bag and store sideways, obviously in a dark and cool place.

For tubs on a bike for riding; keep the bike off the floor, like in a stand.

Putting some air in is also a good idea although this won't work with latex inner tubes.

Cheers Ian and fiks. Blimey, sounds a bit like keeping wine. I will act on your excellent advice.

Thanks.

Best to keep them inflated if possible on a wheel or old rim with a cover to avoid abrasion. Otherwise hanging in a cool dark place.

Re: how long the glue lasts

daugs":1gljosfq said:
on a very similar note can I ask as to how long the glue/tape lasts, my front wheel has had same tub no punctures for 20 odd years (but obviously not done thousands of miles) and thinking really should replace as expect to be on road more,

my excuse is the bike has been on indoor trainer for much of last decade........... :roll:

I guess really should replace but not sure I can be bothered with all the "tub hassle" and just use cheap 700c alternative.

ressurected this as glue has really perished and was able with a bit of old brute force etc to roll tyre off rim, so if glue back on is tyre any good ?

My 5p's worth -

There was a link here recently to a story about a mechanic who had all the team's tubs stored in a cellar - by the look of it they were kept for over a year before ever being used - as mentioned previously - like a wine cellar. Sorry i can't link to it as i can't remember where it was.

Seems a little extreme to start digging under the floorboards though - if you don't already have a cellar.

Back