P7 Question

Wold Ranger

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Recently acquired a nice 17 inch, P7 frame off here, but it's raised a few questions.
Lovely frame that I thought would need re painting, but upon arrival, it was just storage muck, with minor scuffs that have polished out, with a good buffing with cutting compound and paint renovator.
It's finished in an original "Tomato red" with original but scruffy transfers.
It's frame stamp is November 1997.
During the paint work buff up, you get to handle the frame and I started to notice a few odd features. (I've had a few of these but 99 on) It deffo had the classic over size down and top tubes of the P7, but the top tube and chainstays seemed short, which the tape revealed a top tube length ctc of just 20.75 and chain stays just over an inch shorter than my Clockwork of the same year!
My tenth Anniversary 17 clockwork has a 21.25 top tube and other P7's I'd had in this size had long chain stays and a 21.25 top tube?
Also the weight seemed low at four and a quarter pounds-less than a Clockwork Mmmm? Last one I had went well over 5 pounds.
Also I believe the P7 was dropped for a year or two when they went from one inch (with a thinner diameter Tubeset all round) to inch and an eighth head tube.
This has an inch and an eighth head tube. It has no disc mount either and I had a pal with a disc mount on in 1996 BITD.
The question, was this a development model, when they went over to the stronger frame with inch and an eighth head tube? Also colour is unusual, decal removal revealed no fading and the weight is light for a P7.
I'll post pics later and develop this into a build thread. Any ideas?

Back