BoTM Ideas Themes or Suggestions

I fecking hate the "elitism" word being branded around here as though it is a bad thing. It is an open competition for any one to enter, those who dislike what they view as an elite entry can place there votes where they wish. Those who put the hard work, effort and time into putting a bike into a showcase appearance get shot down for it. What the feck is wrong with you all?

By all means enter a beat up old Raleigh mustang against a highly polished hand made something or other, from this and other recent threads it is clear that there are enough people, who are so against the thought of a well presented bike that may or may not of cost the owner a penny or two, that it stands an above average chance of winning.

/As you were, rant over.

It never fails to amaze me how people can get so het up over something so trivial.

Keep standard BOTM for those who want to show off (not meant in any derogative way) their latest build/favourite bike - it works.

Add themed BOTMs at additional periods to add a bit of variety.

Problem solved, win-win situation, or any other cliches you prefer

gerryattrick":1fl80tjx said:
It never fails to amaze me how people can get so het up over something so trivial.

You aint seen nothing yet..wait till they start the "red coloured bikes are the slowest" :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

girls will be girls

sylus":139jh8c1 said:
wait till they start the "red coloured bikes are the slowest"

Pffft. Bring it.

555466_404348836288538_1939370395_n.jpg

trail_head":3613dy1o said:
What's that reflection in the stem? Porch light? Space ship? you in a funny hat? :D

I wear a pope hat around the house. I am the pontiff of my domain.

Some good suggestions here which I'm happy to collate. Suggestion of planning special months in advance is OK but it does imply some advanced planning goes into it. Normally we see what has (or hasn't) worked and what we can come up with and decide the next month on that basis. Will perhaps try and get a list of possible future topics up at some point though.

No intention of changing the contest's format from being 'normal' months alternating with 'special' months.

Think also that some of the special months (not this one clearly) give a chance to those who don't have the high end / boutique stuff. The contest is meant to showcase the best of the site so sadly we can't all have a prize for this egg and spoon race, sorry.

Not clear there would be interest in running months for stuff like 'commuter bikes' and 'reader's wives bikes'.

John":3p9jyk1s said:
Not clear there would be interest in running months for stuff like 'commuter bikes' and 'reader's wives bikes'.

That would depend on how accurate the rather condescending assumption below is...

ameybrook":3p9jyk1s said:
BOTM should be a "best of retrobike" showcase. I doubt the members here are putting forth their best efforts towards commuters & wives/kids bikes.

...it might be worth a try; I'd certainly take a punt with SWMBO's Stumpy :cool:

Most people will except it's mainly a beauty contest, but as long as the door is left open to those without four-figure wallets then members can't complain.

The "Red" special seemed very successful so "Blue", "Green", "Polished", "Black" and "Zolatone" should be high on the hit list and don't limit entry.

"Pace vs Manitou" or "Judy vs Bomber" fork specials shouldn't be too limiting as you see them on all sorts. Surprised there hasn't been a Magura special yet either.

Back