1977 Carlton project

Competition had single teardrop cutouts on the lug points, the Pro frame had additional triangular cutouts on the sides IIRC,

Best bet for touch up is raiding the wife's nail varnish stash :)

Shaun

cheers Shaun, yes, teardrop cutouts, see below

8285890278_5064d43d0b_z.jpg

mmm, wife doesn't have that colour nail varnish.............. :D

Not sure that is Carmine.. They supplied touch up with an internal code RMM116 CFxx (where xx was the colour) but I guess that's not available any more.

That colour looks like Fire Red......

Just a bit of background, I worked in a Raleigh 5 star dealer in the 70's and our bread and butter was Raleigh. For people who wanted something better we sold Carlton and Falcon. We also stocked the usual stuff for the touring and racing mobs.

Carlton were nice bikes to sell as they always looked good, had better geometry so looked "faster" and had better kit. Above that thay had chrome and really nice paint finishing. One colour on top of another....

Backed up by the fact they were nice to ride :D

I read Alan Sugar's autobiography where he talks about the "mugs eyeful" which made him his fortune. Carlton did it decades earlier.

OK Back on topic...... Might have to dig deeper on the actual colour

Shaun

the colour's so faded and not sure photo's show well, will try to get one of part hidden by components. If not carmine red then not a competition but then what ?

It's so much easier with old cars, send off to heritage centre and number gives full spec, worked a treat with my old ex mil land rover.

Carlton project - Bottom Bracket woes

well before restoring the frame thought I would stick some bits on and take for quick ride to check all ok before all effort of stripping and sanding paint etc. Good thing I did as while threads on drive / fixed cup passed a quick glance it turns out something bad has happened in past.

The cups are std english thread off an old stronglight 99 that had from new. Being very gentle the adjustable one screwed in fine after clean up (checking the threading was std english and not old raleigh etc) but the fixed cup is loose and wobbles in bottom bracket ie doesn't screw in at all (remembering left hand thread). It looks like someone in past has put wrong cup in or screwed in wrong way (but subsequently done correctly ?). The frame came without any bottom bracket.

so alternatives I can see

1) Permanently fix the fixed cup I have by either liquid metal / araldite etc - ie bodgetastic in the frame

2) See if can find a fixed cup that does fit (French probably as next size up ?) but wondering if ball bearings then different size etc or are cups identical with exception of threading ? aren't some right hand threads even as fixed cups ?

3) Find sealed type BB where cups don't take same load and sometimes even plastic although would need to be ISO (rather than JIS) if want to use my '99 chainset, and bodge fit the fixed cup of that but less long term issues that (1) probably.

4) write it off to experience and find another frame.............least preferred option

any options I've missed, all suggestions welcome.......

BITD we used an oversize BB cup and oversize tap.........or cut / welded and re-tapped again.

Shaun

IanSmalley":38h2rlyo said:
Never tried one but google "zenith threadless bottom bracket"

thanks for the thought, yes I should have put that as an option but only seen for JIS taper not ISO unless I missed something. Prestine also do one. I was also rather put off by the chamfer on the shell but maybe that not necessary.

also found this on London fixie site

http://www.lfgss.com/thread5523.html

Midlife":38h2rlyo said:
BITD we used an oversize BB cup and oversize tap.........or cut / welded and re-tapped again.

Shaun

can you still get oversize cups ?, the cut, weld and retap gets some debate on the LFGSS thread but is too costly on this frame I think ?

disappointed after popping into 2 local bike shops, one suggested a threadless but didn't really understand the JIS vs ISO issue but did dig out set of cups (but of questionable quality) if wanted to fix in, the other just suggested fixing in a shimano UN55 and when I said about stronglight crank and ISO vs JIS they suggested that I didn't understand as despite being Japanese it had English threads..............both shops too new...........

does anyone know a good old fashioned bike shop that's been there forever where they've probably got old box of bits or understand the issue. Also need a headset fitting and not sure I trust either of the above shops to do properly............

Latest posts

Back