1979 Carlton purchased. Which model?

....and replacement decals should be available from H loyds penrith.
Silver should be easy to colour match.

It also has a nice Campagnolo head set that will polish up well.

Yep.........the Pro is above the Competition in the Pecking order :)

I wondered why it was silver :D

Shaun

Excellent. I shall restore it with period components. Obviously I need suitable pedals and the levers are not arabesque, so I will try to get a pair. Black or tan cloth bar tape would be favourite depending upon the hood colour I can get. New chain and cables will also be required.

The rear mech is faulty in that it is very loose. The central plastic barrel is split. Not sure if this is repairable or not? If not will need a replacement. Everything else looks to be in good condition and should clean and polish up well enough.

I actually have a complete new old stock Shimano Exage EX300 groupset, but this dates from the late 80's and is not as pretty as the arabesque. Might put this on until I can source the appropriate arabesque items.

Now, would it be very wrong of me if I had it repainted a different colour? Only reason is that I am not a fan of silver at all and would rather go for a nice dark green or burgandy. I would then finish with the correct stickers.

BTW this is a great forum and I have well and truely caught the 'retro bike' bug. I am spending more time with the Carlton and my Romani now than I do with my 2012 Cannodale CAAD8! :D

It was the Silver that had me confused for a minute....then I remembered the Carlton Professonal came in the team colour, Silver Lustre :)

I had a quick look at the Cycling mags I have at the time but none from 1979 but from 1978 here are a few frame price guides..give or take a few quid

Carlton 531 main tube (Clubman, Curette) £42
Carlton Professional, silver lustre inc campag head set £91
Raleigh 531 team frame £107
Raleigh 753 TT frame £135
Raleigh 753 road frame (26 week delivery) £155
Alan £160
Viner Stellar (what I wanted) £168
Saba (Ian Hallam jobby) £170

As you can see the Carlton Professional was the mirror of the Raleigh team frame but in different colours / chrome.

HTH

Shaun

Back