BMX bikes and riders 1998--> ? still faffing with BMX?

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi gang,

Is the 1998 --> area of RB a place for (not specifically vintage old school) BMX too?

Anyone here still playing with their 'kids bikes'?! haha I mean adult size BMX be it specifically 20", 22" or, 24", 26", 29er versions?!

I've not been on my tank FreeAgent for ages, and not anything semi serious on a BMX for a long time but decided I'm going to build a decentish cool semi modern bike before I get too old etc! ... :LOL:

What ya got?

Not ridden the old girl in years :cry:

vegas.jpg

Specialized Vegas TMX24.. basically their cruiser that I turned into a 24" jump/street bike. Had one of the orignal fat tubed ones, but they all cracked an Specialized replaced it for me with the 2002 model, even if it was nearly 3 years old when it cracked

Built it with a Halo rear, Atom Lab rear hub and disc conversion, M4 front/Mini rear, Profile cranks, V12's, Marzochhi Z2's that proved utterly bombproof... even on 5ft drops!! :cool: XT front hub, and 24Seven finishing kit (bars, stem and seat)

G

Wow I was struggling to work out what it was then. The small frame threw me, combined with a 24 MTb jump style. Nice! Guess it works too. Forks will relax the sharp BMX head. Great. Might be time for a spruce up then. I was debating cruiser but built a dmr rhythm with my old tornado wheels, rather than sell wheels of course.

It was after stripping and weighing my mucky old ex commute BMX that I fancied another slicker lighter BMX build for my next! Mixing 2000's bits with modern will be an interesting learning curve/gamble!
IMAG0644.jpg

After eyeballing option I stuck an order in for a new frame. I must be nuts! Too old for it all :LOL:

P1030214.jpg

hoffman flash xl, aint ridden it in bloody years properly, rek id hurt myself now lol, got it off a minor celeb when he rode trails with me years ago :D

lhd gspot hub, grinded the dropouts to 14mm as i rode mini loads bitd, as well as race/dirt. only needs bigger bars and some balls to be ridden again lol

Looks like a real bruiser that. :cool: cool dirt bike. Reminds me of the frame I was tempted to buy, a Macneil Gary Young 2. Also a lot like the KHE Dirty Harry I had briefly, that was a beast. So a case of hurting yourself huh? Yep I don't fancy doing anything too crazy, like watching technical and clean riders like Tate Roskelley, honing transferrable slills properly, I think thats what's inspired me, the new one will have some retro touches to so should double as a fun summer bike and easily fit in the car...! :D ;)

Heres mine, 2011 Standard Trailboss

5571885536_1d8f6159ec_z.jpg

Doesn't get ridden as much as I'd like these days but I'm still trying to resist growing up. Every time I ride it its like a shot of absinthe after drinking the warm beer that is mountain biking.

stevet1":4xrq8cvd said:
Every time I ride it its like a shot of absinthe after drinking the warm beer that is mountain biking.

Yeah I like that, great! :cool: :LOL: Sounds about right.

Sweet looking bike too. So far all a bit 'Dirt' I think Mine is meant to be a Dirt bike, so something a bit more street orientated next...

i love the Specialized Vegas bike above used to have the old 24 inch one till it was stolen :cry:

still got a mythic scream jump bike set up all ready to go but havnt got round to using it this year

(if that Vegas ever comes up for sale might be tempted )

I've got this for mooching about on :D
Its had a few tweeks since this pic, great fun for gliding about on. It wears small block 8's now run at silly high pressures for minimal rolling resistance :D

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 646
ba57ards":16vj4lza said:
i love the Specialized Vegas bike above used to have the old 24 inch one till it was stolen :cry:

You mean the fat tubed maroon one?

That was the one that I originally bought, bu the seat tube cracked on mine a 4 others I knew of.... when mine went, they replaced it with the new black one above... its got some lush profiling on the tubes. After 3 days of having it rebuilt, it got nicked.... so I bought a new one and started again :roll:

Its now got Hookworms on, and the rear JUST squeazes in between the stays

ba57ards":16vj4lza said:
(if that Vegas ever comes up for sale might be tempted )
Sorry, getting burried with this one :LOL:
Its next on the resto list and will have some uber special paint going on it ;)

G

Back