70's riders. Falcon? At Bangor in early 80's

mattsccm

Senior Retro Guru
Context first. Just after xmas 83 and 84 but maybe the new year period , students of the Outdoor Ed dept at Bangor Nromal college attended a "training" couple of days. It was run by the dept boss John Brailsford. (Daves dad). We froze and rode hard. The days were also attended and coached by what we were told was some of the Falcon team. 30 years later I am wondering as the wonders of the web tells me that this wasn't the case. I think both years had the same riders. Keith Lmabert, Mick Bennet, Mick Morrison and Trevor Bull. 1 year had an extra, some one who was also a coach. I think the name was Geoff Cook but could be wrong.
Can any one come up with a link between those riders at that time?
Barry Davies?
John had many contacts in the bike world. For about 4 years that I know of we all had silly cheap deals on Raleigh's that were bunch ordered, sized accroding to our needs and to some extent specced that way as well, eg I ordered tubs. All 531 and all in funny colours! I was told that they were all in some way not suitable for sale and were sprayed in non standard colours. Mine was 531 c in a blue similar to the banding on this site. Still got it. The year before was a classic maroon. Got one of those as well.

Just trying to refresh my memory really and web searches tell me that some of these riders were not Falcon riders at the time. I am intrigued.

Keith Lambert started with Falcon but moved to Holdsworth :) Never remember "Big" Trevor Bull being with anybody but Carlton in those times.

Falcon did run training camps but remember they were abroad when I was a lad back in the mid - late 70's

Shaun

I think this was more a case of Brailsford organising it for his students and inviting the stars along.

I don't think either of the 2 Micks or Trevor rode for Falcon. Keith did for a while. Geoff Cook was/is a top track rider BITD.

Like said above, probably a privately organised coaching weekend.

BITD it was always "who you know", the owner of the bike shop I worked in (1970's) was a good mate of Billy Holmes who was the Falcon rep.

Hence I had my frames made by Falcon and had rides in the team cars, not only that had rides with other teams as well :) Scariest was in Phil Bayton's following car

Shaun

Back