Mavic CXP14 vs Mavic CXP30

ScillySuffolk

Retro Guru
I'm considering a couple of wheelsets, both on 8 speed Campag hubs.

In short, what is the difference between the two types of rim?

Is one more robust/lighter etc than the other.

When were they introduced: they are for a 1995/96 build.

Many thanks.

Numbers refer to rim depth - CXP14 is like a regular shallow rim whereas CXP30 is far more aero. CXP30 is quite heavy but absolutely bomb proof IME - I rode a lap of CX with a flat front tub - rim stayed true

monty dog":39ta9t4i said:
Numbers refer to rim depth - CXP14 is like a regular shallow rim whereas CXP30 is far more aero.
The numbers certainly aren't a reference to the rim depth. The CXP30 section was approximately 30mm in depth, but a CXP33 was substantially shallower...

My recollection is that the CXP14 was essentially a cheaper, un-machined version of the CXP30, while the CXP12 was a cheaper equivalent of the CXP33.

There are some details here:

http://www.tech-mavic.com/tech-mavic/uk ... jantes.htm

isn't depth related - i've got a CXP14 650c front & CXP30 700c rear on one of my bikes - both identical depths of 30mm. my understanding is the difference is purely the price. Both bomb proof for the price.

one-eyed_jim":su725x9v said:
My recollection is that the CXP14 was essentially a cheaper, un-machined version of the CXP30

correctamundo!
i believe the CXP30/14 was dropped from the range in the end due to lack of (replacement) sales, bomb&proof, still lives on as the Ellipse

Back