1988 F.W. Evans

Rod_Saetan

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I got this a couple of years ago, from the original owner who had used it as a commuter for a few years and then stored it away. Luckily (?) for me she had very carefully taped inner tubes all over the bike to protect it and to make it a little less desirable to thieves. This resulted in a slightly odd paint finish that combines the original 'bubblegum metallic pink' with 'faded metallic pink' in a manner redolent of the work of the early cubists.

I bought it as A) it being an Evans it fitted in with the ever-expanding British steel collection chez Saetan, and B) cos I knew who had built it for Evans after seeing the close-up pictures and talking to a former employee of the original Evans London store.

It came with the Mavic Paris-Gao-Dakar hubs and rims, a full M730 groupset and a rather delightful Campagnolo seat post - a great start. The ideal build never fully formed in my mind with any considerable certainty, as it normally does, so I struggled to collect parts for it, always sort of bumping it to the back of the pile, however the opportunity presented itself (the good lady is out of town) to pull the finely and carefully packed parts boxes apart and truly mess the flat up this evening, so I figured I'd just throw a bunch of stuff at it and see what sticks. It is - as intended - period correct, with a slight roadie leaning although the spec is probably a little bit ''modern day person retrospectively picking parts from a magazine'. I binned the Tioga stem and straight bars it came with (Ok, I kept the bars) in favour of the shorter, taller stem and oh-so-swoopy bars in order to offset the strange plenty-of-standover-yet-long-top-tube geometry of the bike.

Evans1.JPG

Part fillet brazed, part lugged frame and TIG'd fork built from a mix of Columbus Off Road Cromor and Tange Prestige for Evans by Chas Roberts; Mavic Paris-Gao-Dakar wheelset; Campagnolo Contax headset; NOS SPecialized Crossroads tyres; Kingsberry seat post, NOS suede Selle Turbo; Salsa Pro Moto stem; Pastel pink Nitto bar; M730 shifters and mechs (will be long cage 600 EX rr mech); NOS Suntour freewheel; Specialized Flag cranks; Suntour Superbe Pro pedals/Cateye cages/Specialized straps; M730 cantis and M733 levers (I like the shorter reach over the M730s, the rest is 88 spec, I tried!); Original Tange BB; Shimano SLR grey cable; NOS ODI grips; 'WTB spec' chainstay protector

IMAGE_41768FF8-2688-4C8B-96CE-5BD106390066.JPG

IMAGE_69CD1C9A-50C4-4CC8-820E-335374791A12.JPG

IMAGE_69F52AB2-54AA-43A9-8648-8B010DEEE28B.JPG

IMAGE_89344546-8FF3-4871-8C3A-CC077544534D.JPG

I need to cable it, source a M730 seat QR, source some XT pads and fit the NOS Michelin tyres I have as these Crossroads pre-date the rest.

I'll do some better pictures once its put together, but thought I would throw this up as I have spent the last 7 hours cleaning it and putting it together and frankly wanted a break.

Very nice mate.....looks to be very well preserved... :cool:

That's going to be a very nice build, I really like your collection of parts, been thinking of doing a 'pick stuff from old shop adverts build'.

BTW - m730 QRs are £7ish on ebay.de ;)

Please can you add it to the British Steel thread :cool:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Great stuff mate, looks really good.

Love the well thought out components, I'm sure it'll be a great rider once you have it finished?

Any progress on the Zinn?

I really like the frame and the components complement it really well in my opinion.

The '"R" at the top of the seat stays shows it's actually a Ritchey frame though ;)

Nevada: Ta, I'll get shopping

Gio: nought, I have got most the parts though, including a pair of the first Hope hubs for the cable discs. Need to decide on colour too, maybe green, but there was a pink option, and you can't have enough pink bikes.

KoF: I feel silly now, what a rookie error.

Back