Langdale Pursuit

FINNEY1973

Senior Retro Guru
Evening all, thought i'd share my just completed build which was brought forward to save my sanity whilst recovering from hernia surgery - what was supposed to be 2013's project suddenly became therapy as I couldn't handle anymore daytime TV.

So I picked the frame up early summer 2012 via e-bay after it had appeared on RB a few months earlier ( http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=212034 ) with the intention of a spring 2013 build.

Now I know i've broken too many rules for the total purist : http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/ and I apologise for that but 5 weeks indoors and a budget meant I went slightly off on a tangent as far as what I purchased for the build. So bar tape & cables match the Campagnolo blue from the rear wheel, all black & white didn't look right for some reason? I know it's not the way to do things but hey-ho. It won't appeal to everyone but I hope you enjoy my efforts.

I've also not exactly kept this as a period exact build, more a case of picking some of my favourite components and seeing how it looked and performed. Of course, it's by no means perfect and i'd of liked to have had deeper pockets, and I've of liked my Shimano 600AX delta callipers to work but my god are they hard to set-up so they actually make you stop!

I'm in the midst of contacting Langdale to try and confirm the frame (Reynolds or Columbus) and any history - http://www.langdalelightweights.co.uk/history.htm2.htm - whether this frame was shop issue or used as part of the team roster.

Details:
Frame: Langdale 653 (assumed) pursuit frame & fork.
Headset: Campagnolo Chorus
Stem: 3TTT "Scarpa" pantograph.
Bars: Mavic Bullhorns
Brake Levers: Modolo QT-EXE
Brake Calipers: Campagnolo Mirage Monoplaners.
BB: Campagnolo Record
Crankset: Mavic 631 SSC (polished) with Campagnolo crank caps.
Pedals: (new) Look Keo pro
Gear Levers: Shimano Dura-Ace 7400
Front Derailleur: Mavic 860
Rear Derailleur: Mavic 840
Freewheel: Regina Extra America 12-17T
Chain: KMC 6-Speed
Seatpost: USE
Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Titanium
Rear Wheel: 700c Campagnolo Khamsin Disc
Front Wheel: 650c Campagnolo Shamal on Record Hub
Bottle Cage: Elite Ciussi 1995
Cables: Jagwire

Not a patch on some of the recent readers bikes submitted but it's another frame back on the road so that's all good with me :LOL:

Attachments

• IMAG0150.jpg
    IMAG0150.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 940
  • IMAG0154.jpg
    IMAG0154.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 940
  • IMAG0153.jpg
    IMAG0153.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 940
  • IMAG0152.jpg
    IMAG0152.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 940
  • IMAG0161.jpg
    IMAG0161.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 940
  • IMAG0160.jpg
    IMAG0160.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 940
  • IMAG0155.jpg
    IMAG0155.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 940
  • IMAG0162.jpg
    IMAG0162.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 940
Nice

Thats really nice :cool: Very purposeful looking.
You done a great job so dont worry about what the purist think as long as it brings a smile to your face and it rides how you want. This one looks fast to me.
Great build :D
And hope your on the mend.

Jamie

Beautiful - i'm all in favour of matching cables :)
I've a similar age tt machine and trying to figure out why this one looks so much smarter - 650c front wheel perhaps?
I'm mighty impressed.

Great looking bike and a great bike shop- had a lovely set of wheels built there.
Did Langdale build there own frames?

thankyou for your kind words, I was a bit worried about the reception this would receive, not that you aren't good people, more that their are far superior bikes submitted and this being a bit leftfield means it's not to everyone's taste.

jamiedyer - thankyou & yes i'm on the mend - nowhere near the miles I was at but I'm thankful to be in the saddle again. Shame I'm back to square one in the new year for procedure # 2 - that's another 5 weeks of torment. As for the purists - i'm simply envious of some of the bikes on here, the quality is an inspiaration.

Plusone - thanks - as i've said above
:)

wallonie11 - I was chuffed to bits, bar tape and cable colour is 99% close to the campag blue on the Khamsin, hence going for that look, subtle yet obvious if you look close enough. Your Dolan - post a picture, i'd like to see - being a Preston born lad, I appreciate the man's skills - Ribble was what got me into road bikes circa '87. 650c front wheel, yes - all day long - look great in my opinion. I got lucky in that the Shamal I got was peanuts (£) compared to the current prices on ebay and mine is unused, barely a mark on it. adds to the fast look - one day I might do it justice!

Ian Raleigh - absolutely - as before, I'm Preston through & through and grew up looking through the window at Ribble on Watery Lane http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl and after 15 years daan Notts, I massively appreciate what a) Raleigh did for Nottingham and bike building in the UK and b) small independents are essential and Langdale have both history and a presence on the current scene - I support such ventures wholeheartedly.

Iwasgoodonce - your words say enough - appreciated.

AndyRM - I like the bikes stance, front view has a certain arrogance about it, I put it down to the bullhorns, one of the great design classics i'd say. Not great for one's back though

:oops:

CTK - thanks, I'm awaiting a response from Langdale - I met a rider out one day towards Loughborough and we talked local speak given he was on a rather magnificent Raleigh, I was in awe - he mentioned Langdale and said he knew a team rider from the 80's - that's where I learned of the name - he said they had a very decent reputation for frames - as to whether these where custom frames or badged frames I don't know - hopefully I can shed some light when Langdale get back to me.

I often look at Langdales display and think yes, one day I'll have one of those - quality although whether it would suit retrobike I'd suggest not - http://www.langdalelightweights.co.uk/preowned.htm That TT bike is stunning in my opinion.

This was my Dolan as it looked originally. Its since been repainted and has a full transmission attached.

Attachments

• 383243_10151042463355511_116620916_n.jpg
    383243_10151042463355511_116620916_n.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 775
Back