Matt Black P7

That does look really bad. :-( If I were you I would do some investigation into the rust to see if its more than surface rust -it does look almost terminal. No point in spending money too much on it until you know it's a sound frame.

Looks pretty shot from here too. Only viewing on my phone but is that a hole on the BB shell at the base of the seat tube?

i dont like being negative but i have to admit i agree with the others. That BB area looks utterly destroyed.

If it was somthing as rare as nevada formula the get it sorted,

however P7 are ten a penny, specially if you want one thats got a "bit of rust" just needs a blast/repaint.

If its sentimental, then a mate of mine cuts out part of the main tubes with say the best decals and hangs them on his garage wall.

Save your repair cash and get somthing else as a project.

Yea in the picks it does look really bad but I do think it is just surface rust. There are no holes. I need to get it scrubbed up and investigate myself. It does have a lot of sentimental value, great memories. Mainly my best mate. There was me, him and them there was everybody else. He was killed on his motor bike 2 year ago probably getting his knee down round a corner. We bought Middleburn cranks, I got a 48t but he had to go bigger and better and get a 50t. Haha. I still have it and it will be going on this bike. This build will be a tribute to him. I have found a place in Leeds that will chemicaly dip and strip it for me to get rid of internal rust too. I am going to do it. If it snaps then hey but I think it will be fine. I have worked on pipelines for a fair few years and what I have learned about steel and welds gives me faith. Fingers crossed..

A nice story behind it with obvious sentimental value. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and hope to see it in better shape soon.

Agreed. if does have enough memories then anything is fixable at a price. If your leeds way then bob Jackson(bramley i think) is an old skool frame builder and did also do work for orange spraying their 2007 clockworks. So is more than cablable i would have thought if yuo wanna go down welding and stove enamel route. Triple S in keighley are not the cheapest powder coaters around but i have he two frames done there and always been impressed.

Nice set of rc35 and full 737 xt and it will look mint.

That good to know dab thank you. I am near Durham, nowhere near Leeds but it is the closest place I could find for the chemical dip strip. And you mentioned stove enamel?? Is this a coating other than powder coating. I have been quoted £55 for the dip and £85 for polish and powder coat from Silchrome. I suppose the polish would be done after the powder coat!!

not sure on those process.

Stove enamel is more like a regular paint which is then laqured. Powder coating is much tougher/thicker/heavier but as long as its done by somone competant looks good.

if you clcik on the c16r on my sig then you'll see a metalic colour powder coat. the only issue is you dont generally need to lacqure so your stickers are not covered over..but then as they aint covered over you can replace them easily in the future.

That does look dog ruff

If you are absolutely sure it's all surface rust then a matt black powder coat is your best way forward. They strip and powder coat at an average cost about 70 quid. Ask around in here to see if a good powder coater for bikes is close to you then decals from Gil should bring you back nicely

Back