1998 Kona King Kahuna

dablk

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Dablk's 98 Kona King Kahuna

Loved the ride of my 20" 96 Lavadome hack , thought about an similar era Explosif, then a viewed a clearly stolen 93 Hei Hei, then picked this up and am now in a position to start hanging bits on it.

KK03.jpg

Guessing it is a 98 as sold with all the cables on the TT.

KK04.jpg

BB indicates KK20031. Believe that confirms the 31st 20 incher KK from that year or by sandvik?..sure Anthony will be along in a minute ;)

Think after the old bike, new kit idea I did with my lavadome. I would go the same way. The P7 went up for sale so basicallly got some near NOS 2011 XT for everywhere.

Really wanted another rigid p2 Triple butted of 410mm AtoC. However the headtube is 15 cm long plus 34mm of Chris King stack is proving hard to find. So for now i'm going to use a non TB, 440mm P2 which I have had knocking around for a while. Its a v and disc fork so really, ahead tube is 212mm and is just long enough,(probably not safe) so needs to be a stop gap.

KK07.jpg

Using the Chris King aswell as if i do get a threaded fork i can easily swap the top caps to thread with a CK, or I do get other Forks crown races are easy to get hold of to save messing around.

Nicked the post out of the LD for now. Have a lovely USE ti post. now the debate is over the shim. The post would be inserted this far into the frame for me.

KK06.jpg

However the longest shim I can get at the minute is 100mm inc lip. so that would actually only just get to bang on the lower weld of the TT. So unsure for now to go down that route or not... Not that i'm looking to damage the other bike but think the LD might endup with a very over specced post for the time being ;) whilst this uses its racelight.

KK09.jpg

Ignor the wheels for now. I tend to swap around all the time. the LD is sitting on some out of true old ones. The KK is on the one the M737/XC317 i built a while back for the E3. There is also set of new Cross Rides in the Loft. So not sure to go with what one what yet. The long run will be all silver somthing i think.

KK10.jpg

Original stickers are really needing replaceing. Frame came with a spare set but I'm chatting with Gill over a slightly different version.

Got a shimed Ti bar for her about to go on, stem is out of the parts bin for now and some NOS Kona Racelight foam grips.

The final big decision. Its full new XT but with new 9speed shifters or some minty 8 XT speed thumbies.

Bit of progress. Found a tired donner bike with some 410mm TB p2 to fit.

KKTB_zpse6a0697b.jpg

Plan was to use a CK Gripnut, but have been let down in a converstion kit and dont really want to buy a whole unit as i'm not 100% sure there will be enough thread anyway. So as the donnor also had an Impact i settled on a CK bottom end and Impact top.

kkhead_zpsa6a80263.jpg

.. and typically rain has just stopped build play. Now the build in the kitchen discussion with SWBO ;)

Nice frame. Looking forward to seeing it built :cool:

With regards to which shifters to use, if you are using new XT then surely that's 10sp and you'll have to use a Shimano 10sp shifter....

If it's a 9sp derailleur then you can ignore the above ;)

Cheers mate,
yeah was the very last of the xt 9 speed. I have now sold the thumbies anyway so its defo going to be 9 speed.

Found a bit of time and its working out well. bit dark so flash has adjust colours a bit.

Kkp2build05_zps7768067a.jpg

decided to try the Ti USE post and ti bars. I have a set of silver clamps for the post but would rather have some blacks. Saddle i'm undecided on as to go brown or more basic black.

Kkp2build08_zpsf841beb7.jpg

The race kings where going really cheap at crc so thought would give them a go. The soruced p2's stem adn half impact worked out great with a good amount of thread in the collar.

Kkp2build07_zpsa933c924.jpg

cables covers still need to be trimmed up as these are all doners.

Kkp2build06_zpsb58aefda.jpg

Looks real nice. got a 2000 kk myself-probably the sweetest xc bike ive ever ridden (unbiased opinion) the angles on these old konas were bang on.
Are those ti p2's?

91lavadome":2by9xhvs said:
Looks real nice. got a 2000 kk myself-probably the sweetest xc bike ive ever ridden (unbiased opinion) the angles on these old konas were bang on.
Are those ti p2's?

Cheers folks.. No not ti p2s. Don't think they did 410mm ti. It's just the flash has brightened them up. They're the boggo gunmetalish colour ones from a 96 lavadome... Same as the ones on my own green lavadome.

Saddle.. Not got on with the flites. might have a look at other sdg in black... They all seem to have red logos.

Baj might have a black use clamp for trade to tone that down.

Re: Dablk's 1998 Kona King Kahuna

Well finally a few tweeks. got some mint 105mm marz 03 from HB and also a not so good comestically 85mm with hard springs. A bit of mix and matching and now a mint set of 85mm. With the EtA engaged they are actually not a million miles away from being p2 atc.

Also picked up a black clamp and a new USE sticker.

I have sourced a set of 410mm TB p2's in ahead. Plan is to get a stem suitable. Then have the stem and the p2's colour matched to the marz forks as i do like the colour. And they can then be all be swapped about. Thats may take some none existant funds. :)

Back