granny anex costs?

jamabikes

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
hi guys, anyone ever had a second building built on their plot of land? i live in a maisonette but am lucky to have a 60'x50' rear garden with a 15'x30' dog leg. was wondering in the future what the costs would be in building a small ish anex. along the lines of a bedroom/bathroom/kitchen/lounge bed sitty type affair.

10k? 50k?

would be looking at doing most of the easy stuff myself but would get someone in to do ground work and brick work

including all legal fees, service connections, planning etc, and obvious quality of materials/labour etc, id say easily 50k, 10k would cover my labour only ;)

what jobs could you do yourself?

i can plumb and wire (although not coded so would need signing off), plaster, fit double lazing, and put the roof on. so literally be after the ground work doing and the block work for a single storey.

alternatively would a wood framed building be useable all year round? obviously with a concrete pad and a few layers of brick work.

timber framed are more economical and thermally efficient than traditional cavity walls, pending budget of course. sounds like you could save quite a bit, get some sub and super structure quotes only, and go from there, you only need a shell up and can sort stuff as you go

and a build thread is needed ;)

Don't know the full details of it but chap at work his brother did the same creating a self sustained building on his house and it all got messy with council tax.

daj":26qyurb7 said:
Don't know the full details of it but chap at work his brother did the same creating a self sustained building on his house and it all got messy with council tax.

hmm hadn't thought about that. it wouldn't be anyone out side my family staying there though, so could i just say that granny has moved in? she wouldn't be paying to live there either (as she will fund the build) so would that make a difference?

more than likely as waste etc will need to be accounted for etc, and cos they want all our money lol

I do believe he was charged two separate council taxes but he struck back lowering his band because it made his house semi-attached not detached. They didn't like that

The biggest problem with this will be the planning, these extras they like to add to your property value and council tax but often they cn't so make it awkward

Try doing it through the back door and guarranties a neighbour will grass you up

Beyond that the usual plumbing for toilets etc and electrics are pretty much easy to do.

Back