Are these legal in the UK?

I think many car headlights are too bright for town where there are street lights, especially those stupid blue xenon ones, they dazzle and ruin your natural night vision, so you can only see other things with lights on. If everyone used side lights, you would be able to see unlit pedestrians etc. better. Even worse are the idiots that drive around with their front fog lights on all the time. Even the rear brake lights are too bright on many cars, especially when people sit at traffic lights with their foot on the brake, rather than using the handbrake. :x

I wear yellow lensed glasses at night and I find they do help cut down the dazzle quite significantly. :cool:

FluffyChicken":mwvofvvf said:
JamesM":mwvofvvf said:
FluffyChicken":mwvofvvf said:
I don't think there is a law banning the use of LASER diodes. Only the requirement to use front white, rear rear, a rear red reflector an amber pedal reflectors (bikes after sept '85). Flashing lights are not outlawed either (since 2005).
That is only at night of course.

Amber pedal reflectors is a bit tricky if you use SPDs.

It is but the rules requires you to use them (front and rear of the pedals)
Enforcing that law may not of course be done, unless of course you are being an arse to them.
Get some amber strips for you shoes, part of your pedals when they are clipped in.

I have yellow reflective ankle bands and my shoes have small white reflective bits on the back. I also wear lots of high viz with reflective bits, have multiple decent bright (but not silly bright) front and rear lights and a rear reflector. So I've done pretty much everything I can but in the event of an accident I could be pulled up on a minor technicality, no amber pedal reflectors. I'd imgine it's the same for most cycle commuters.

longun":k0ywahft said:
lasers are a bad idea for other users, could trigger epileptic fits, ive gotta be very careful when using surveying equipment with 3 of my learners, imagine a driver being triggered !!! :shock:

You allow people prone to seizures to get behind the wheel over there? Odd. The way it is here, if you have or develop symptoms where you are prone to them, your doctor is required by law to report you to the Ministry of Transportation, who will then either blacklist you from getting a license, or revoke your license if you currently have one. There are numerous other medical conditions that are subject to the same laws, for instance when my father developed Alzheimer's, his doctor reported it and that was the end of his driving.

yep same rules here.

no license can be held unless the driver is fit free for at least two years. even after on petit mal you can have your license revoked for a year.

longun":3dehnnfd said:
FluffyChicken":3dehnnfd said:
longun":3dehnnfd said:
lasers are a bad idea for other users, could trigger epileptic fits, ive gotta be very careful when using surveying equipment with 3 of my learners, imagine a driver being triggered !!! :shock:

Why would a Laser cause an epileptic fit?
Unless it is being pulsed or you are creating a specific pattern. Would be no different to the LED flashing or a pattern it creates?

the lasers can trigger fits if the person is photo sensitive, the green ones are not as harmful as red ones in some cases

Photo-sensitivity for epilepsy is triggered by flashing/flickering, not the fact it is a laser. Any light would do if it's pulsing at the correct frequency e.g. a flashing red rear bike light if flashing to fast. Generally around 20Hz iirc but can range from 6 to 60Hz,
Each person is specific and it will be specific frequencies. Your devices should tell you their working frequencies if they are pulsing.

Side/ Green lasers in general (not related to this) are more damaging to the eyes as the eyes are more sensitive to green. It also make a different part of it explode ;). Green is also generated in a different way to red lasers.
My background in in Lasers... making, engineering and more importantly using them to blast things.

jamabikes":1qm0o66h said:
yep same rules here.

no license can be held unless the driver is fit free for at least two years. even after on petit mal you can have your license revoked for a year.

More info, also depends on the type if I read right and you can blag it. But to be honest 'insurance' would probably stop pretty much everything. No insurance, no drivey
http://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/driving ... ng-driving

the red lasers from light shows and surveying equipment can trigger them im afraid ben, got the risk assessments etc to back it up lol one learners is very sensitive to any laser, he will never drive so my point dont count really lol, but do we really need laser guided lights etc for riding ;)

besides, we should all be using old vista or cateye lights on this forum pmsl ;)

longun":iivvap7w said:
the red lasers from light shows and surveying equipment can trigger them im afraid ben, got the risk assessments etc to back it up lol one learners is very sensitive to any laser, he will never drive so my point dont count really lol, but do we really need laser guided lights etc for riding ;)

besides, we should all be using old vista or cateye lights on this forum pmsl ;)

They'll be pulsing then (your equipment and the light shows) or 'effectively' pulsing at the eye (a pattern*). Nothing to do with it being a laser, and LED doing the same thing would cause it.

*light shows use diffraction patterns, that may cause it, vary vary rare for patterns to be a trigger though.

Back