What compact for a C40

But a 28/38 setup is almost the same ratio as a 25/34 so it depends heavily on what your choice of cassette would be.

Searched for manual. Shimano state 'max 26 teeth'? Anyone know different? What was that website that had loads of shimano 'cheats' by an ex-pro mechnic? Sheldon, maybe? :?

I ran a Veloce compact on my Tecnos for a while - has a braze on Front Mech. I used a medium cage front mech, and both a short and medium cage rear.

The whole thing was flawed for me. Worked fine but I found too many dupe gears. The biggest annoyance. I found with compact is that when you run out of gears on the small ring, you have to go a long way back on the block and up on the front to get the next logical gear. Was just a complete PITA. Also, even with 50x12, it ain't big enough going down hill, and 36x25 ain't always small enough going up as I get older.

Commuter / Training bike now has a Campag Competition triple, with med cage front and rear, 52x39x30, and a 12-25 block 9speed. Job done. The triple chainset was eBay for £27. Had to bid on a few before I got one at my preferred price...

Back