Are these legal in the UK?

FluffyChicken":1760lec6 said:
JamesM":1760lec6 said:
FluffyChicken":1760lec6 said:
I don't think there is a law banning the use of LASER diodes. Only the requirement to use front white, rear rear, a rear red reflector an amber pedal reflectors (bikes after sept '85). Flashing lights are not outlawed either (since 2005).
That is only at night of course.

Amber pedal reflectors is a bit tricky if you use SPDs.

It is but the rules requires you to use them (front and rear of the pedals)
Enforcing that law may not of course be done, unless of course you are being an arse to them.
Get some amber strips for you shoes, part of your pedals when they are clipped in.

the nice thing about pedal reflectors is that they move (obviously) so are very noticeable to drivers.

i use some sticky reflective material on the back of my shoes for the same effect.

highlandsflyer":26c0y4ks said:
jamabikes":26c0y4ks said:
on a side note it mae me laugh seeing all the cycle commuters with 2,3,4,5 rear lights but wearing black or dark clothing. :facepalm:

This!

The number of cyclists and pedestrians out there who seem oblivious to how invisible they are is bleeding frightening.

To be fair to them, until I could drive (recently) I didn't know actually how invisible you could be... until I almost took someone out on a mini roundabout.

I always used to ride BiTD with the rule of if you cannot see me, you'll not try and hit me. But then I wouldn't just wonder across a roundabout assuming the car would obviously see me.

As per Bens post above, untill you see 'yourself' from the perspective of a car driver, you really are quite unaware just how invisible you are, i rode for years when i was younger, with mates, wheelieing and bunny-hopping up kerbs and across paths and roads as i saw fit!

My thoughts were, my bike is shiny and therefore will reflect lights so they will see me, and they have brakes, so they will stop!

I started driving about eleven years back, and the amount of riders ive seen at the very last second as they have had zero lighting is unreal, they just loom out of the darkness as youre about to hit them, very scary indeed!

I now have two red lights, bontrager led ones, one on constant and one on strobe, theyre both very bright as car driving mates have passed me and said theyre bloody blinding, but you can see me, and i have two cree type torch/lights on the front on my bars, one set to constant on highest beam, and one on strobe, there is no way you cannot see me coming either!

One of the lads at work is a taxi driver and he said to me he wished every cyclist was as keen on having decent lighting as me, he said theyre a little ott but thats only ever going to be a good thing as in theory, i cannot be missed when im on the roads!

The Highway Code also states that one must take care not to dazzle other drivers, even suggesting using sidelights in built up areas and releasing the foot brake whilst stationary in traffic so the brake lights do not dazzle, this relates to cars as I don't imagine they thought bike lights would be so bright these days. If I've got a powerful bike light on I will always point it down so it's not shinny directly at others. When you have 1000+lumens shining in your eyes on a dark road it's difficult to see anything else, perhaps a pedestrian etc. I've been blinded several times on the lanes around me whilst driving and cycling by super bright bike lights.

Oh i agree with you on that one, ive propped my bike up in the dark and squatted down to about drivers eyeline height to make sure my lights arent directly aiming at their eyes, as that would probably blind them and make them hit me simply because they couldnt see lol!

I see a lot of the militant super high power lights set to blind oncoming cars brigade coming off the trails in the dark to the carparks to load up their bikes and drive home, with their foglights on of course. I suppose they have spent hundreds on their lighting rigs so really want to 'show them off'.

It is these buffoons that will precipitate the imposition of regulations we will all suffer.

We have repeatedly had to ask idiots using high power rigs to turn them away and watch out for my kids/dogs as we walk in the forests.

We all need to think about others more when we ride, and the advances in lighting should make us safer, rather than make us a nuisance.

lasers are a bad idea for other users, could trigger epileptic fits, ive gotta be very careful when using surveying equipment with 3 of my learners, imagine a driver being triggered !!! :shock:

Easy_Rider":1u3a5wdf said:
...brake lights do not dazzle...

Oddly, as far as a I know, if a cycle is stationary you do not need lights (unless that changed). This was to allow 'dynamo' lights to be used which would of course turn of when stopped.

longun":2rwf8cp2 said:
lasers are a bad idea for other users, could trigger epileptic fits, ive gotta be very careful when using surveying equipment with 3 of my learners, imagine a driver being triggered !!! :shock:

Why would a Laser cause an epileptic fit?
Unless it is being pulsed or you are creating a specific pattern. Would be no different to the LED flashing or a pattern it creates?

FluffyChicken":2bq4jk3q said:
longun":2bq4jk3q said:

Why would a Laser cause an epileptic fit?
Unless it is being pulsed or you are creating a specific pattern. Would be no different to the LED flashing or a pattern it creates?

the lasers can trigger fits if the person is photo sensitive, the green ones are not as harmful as red ones in some cases

Back