Raleigh 531c race

IanSmalley

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello all, my first post :)
Just putting up a picture of my winter runaround that I have just picked up.
It has been a good bike in the past, and now requires some tlc.
The parts on the bike are as follows, wheels.. Campagnolo record large flange hubs with Mavic GP4 tubular rims (rear bearing shot) Chainset.. Shimano 600, Rear derailleur.. Suntour Cyclone, Front derailleur.. missing! Miche seat post, and came with flat handle bars but also a Italian drop bars Mod. Europa Super racing? and a Citta' di BASSANO 120 stem.
The bottom bracket bearing has a lot of movement also.
The frame number is WE7000647
I have worked out that it was built in Worksop in April 1987 and was sold as a
a frameset from the factory and built up by James Cycles of Alford in Lincs.
Picture quality is poor sorry! I do have a DSLR but has been "borrowed" by the daughter......... will I ever see it again?mmmmmm

Any comments or advice welcome, Ian

Attachments

• pictures from phone 010.jpg
    pictures from phone 010.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 1,201
Wow! That is a lotta bike for the money!

Could be a stunner or is it going to be your winter commuter/ hack type thing?

LF Record hubs. Nice. :cool:

At the moment it will be winter bike but in the spring will be stripped and rebuilt. It has Red "SS" brake calipers and I don't know what they are? Could they be Sram? Not sure when Sram started though?

Been busy today, Stripped and greased all bearing, first time I think it has had grease since the 80's! Even had the rear freewheel to pieces, ball bearings everywhere! Anyway reassembled with new grease and good as new javascript:emoticon(':D')

Just got back from 20+ miles and only fault en route was the handle bars slipped when braking javascript:emoticon(':oops:')

All I need now is some bar tape and an end plug for bars. And not forgetting to fit the front mech which I have found in the shed.

Not had to buy anything else, so its cost not a great deal so far javascript:emoticon(':D')

Nicked the Shimano pedals off the best bike!!

Attachments

• Raleigh_after_002.jpg
    Raleigh_after_002.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 1,049
Looking better already, this could look stunning, love the colour and those large flange hubs...

it's a deal, it's a steal, it's sale of the century! 50 sovs - that's unbelievable value and a great bike to boot - liking that colour scheme a lot. good work.

Back