2003 Slingshot Big-Shot SS

I'm not entirely sure I get it, I can see the hinge near the seatpost cross bar junction and I get that when you sit on the bike the rod/spring thingy holds it together but surely if you hit the front brakes hard the forks try to move backward and cause the hinge to fold the bike up?

mm.. can't say I get it either to be honest :LOL:

The "hinge" is solid as all get out piece of fiberglass. I dismantled the frame last night, unbolted the board and had a good look/push/pull.. there's very little movement in it. I was hoping the board was only epoxied into the rear triangle as the top tube is slightly off center and I would like to get it back perfect but there is no budging it.

I threw a chain on and took it for a spin and under as much power as I was willing to give it in the rain with no brakes the frame does behave oddly when you get out of the saddle and stomp on it. A kind of quirky controlled twist and whip with each stroke.. veeeery weird but it's not random so I'm assuming it's the slingshot feel that I have read about and I'll get used to it and make it work to my advantage.

Will take photos with tyres on today.

Small update on the parts list.. Those AEST levers are crap.. serously bad. The bolt to tighten the levers to the bars is the pivot bolt for the lever.. that would be a problem if you could tighten them to hold the bars at all but no, sadly the allowances are so far off that bolted to their tightest possible they spin around on the bars as loose as anything. tried multiple bars with the same results. Also the levers flop around like limp lettuce. Quality wise the ano is lovely and the cnc looks fantastic but the fit is just horrible. Shame, with a bit of tweeking of the basic design they could be very nice little things.. as it stands they are for the bin.

They are mental looking things.

Not sure I could trust one...I'm sure they are fine but I'm not sure I could get my head around the missing tube!

:D Coming together, Still waiting on the calipers and pondering what to do for levers.

Attachments

• T1.jpg
    T1.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 1,163
  • T2.jpg
    T2.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 1,163
Think I'll go back to a silver post to match the bars/crankset.

black levers, black and silver grip-ons

Thoughts?

I'm also watching this with interest, I like stuff with character like this Slingshot. Kudos.

I like what you are doing with the build, the skinwall tires are a great find. And I agree the silver seatpost looks better, completing the triangle with the cranks and bars. My experience is that when the gears and grips are fitted the silver bar all but disappears. Alternative is black bar but a silver stem, that also works better viewing side-on. Levers you have many options that will work.

My Curtlo SS 29er (now dismantled) had a similar black and silver theme. One incarnation was finished with white grips and saddle which worked for me, that frame has solid white lettering though. YMMV

Enjoy!!

Iwasgoodonce":1nlo7qk5 said:
BobCatMax":1nlo7qk5 said:
I've been out a few times with GreenRabbit on his slingshot road bike. They are indeed a bit odd.

Not surprised with two of you on it.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Great project!! those skinwalls are really cool!

Re: Slingshot Big-Shot SS

I dunno :?

They say you either love or hate these bikes.. I'm still firmly on the fence.

The flex in the frame in unbelievable and while it's not unstable the wriggle and lurch can be quite unsettling at speed.
I know it's not unsafe but convincing the reflexes of that is something I have not yet managed.. after a short ride today my shoulders are killing me, I must have been white knuckling it the whole time.
If this bike was a horse it would definitely have its ears back.

Anyway.. here it is in all its dark rage.

Back