Panarama tonight 'homeless'......but other types of people

I was strangely depressed by it all really......I felt for the family with the two girls, must be an awful thing to happen at a time of life when thoughts of retirement start......I felt a bit sick when the bailiff arrived and asked 'are you ok?'.......talk about poorly timed comment!....

feetabix":1gb9yf6y said:
I was strangely depressed by it all really......I felt for the family with the two girls, must be an awful thing to happen at a time of life when thoughts of retirement start......I felt a bit sick when the bailiff arrived and asked 'are you ok?'.......talk about poorly timed comment!....
I felt least for them. Taking on a £2k a month (I'm sure a 100%) mortgage because you can 'afford it' then one client stops paying and you lose your house isn't deserving of sympathy imo. That's the mark of a cretin.

Afford it my arse.

I have a pal who asked my advice a three years back on buying a place. I told her she ought to wait until things settle down, but she went ahead, and did not speak to the financial advisor I set her up with.

Now she is struggling, and has had to take a couple in and work a second job. All to serve a mortgage that could have been 20% less if she had waited a while.

Have to agree a little with Techno, people buy as though it is always a secure investment, when it is actually a massive long term binding debt.

Yeah, I take your point.......basing a decision on one paying customer seemed daft, but no one there showed basic signs of sound financial judgement.....the mob in London angered me though, populating the country with children they can't afford to keep, but insisting on smoking next to them......that seems to dissolve my sympathy somewhat!.....

highlandsflyer":2f5x1848 said:
I have a pal who asked my advice a three years back on buying a place. I told her she ought to wait until things settle down, but she went ahead, and did not speak to the financial advisor I set her up with.

Now she is struggling, and has had to take a couple in and work a second job. All to serve a mortgage that could have been 20% less if she had waited a while.

Have to agree a little with Techno, people buy as though it is always a secure investment, when it is actually a massive long term binding debt.
The problem isn't even one of prices, mortgages or markets; it's greed pure and simple. Even buying a few years ago at the peak wouldn't have been a problem if you had a decent deposit and only took say 70% of what you were offered. That would give enough slack to get away with most of any future fluctuations in house prices or interest rates.

Trouble was some spivvy wee ned in a shiny suit told them they could get £xxx and 'buy' the house of their dreams. And any sense of self-restraint went out the window.

Property is a sound investment if done properly. Even in a downturn. I know several people who have been very smart and made a lot of money. Which is indirectly coming out the pockets of the gullible and greedy masses. This time next year all going well the same plebs will be securing my future as well.

pee's me off when everyone who buys property expects to make money. i bought a home not an investment. i have improved my home as a matter of pride and to make living in it more pleasurable. not to make money on it. for gods sake i wish people would just stop and enjoy what they have rather than constantly wishing for what others have. imo its why we got in this mess n the first place.

*as an aside i have been at the other end with crippling debt and what not, but was lucky enough to do something about it before it went too far. will never do credit again (except maybe another mortgage in 10/15 years time once our current home is paid for).

jamabikes":22pvdx7t said:
pee's me off when everyone who buys property expects to make money. i bought a home not an investment.

Vast numbers of people who bought in the last ten years think they've made money when actually they haven't. Daily Mail stories of rising prices makes them feel smug and better off so they spend on credit cards or remortgage for holidays etc. Problem is prices rise and fall at broadly the same rates, so if the house you're in has increased by 40% then likely so has the one you want to buy next. No cash gain there. Selling to release equity is difficult and expensive as houses aren't the most liquid of assets as many find out. And then there's the effect of inflation, if you 'make' £20k over 5 years it's not really £20k any more as it has less purchasing power than 5 years previous. The only ones who ultimately benefit are the smart or those who stay in their house for decades, the rest are usually just treading water.

But as long as it's all about "house prices rise for the eight month in a row" headlines then the plebs will feel all warm inside. Leaving the gains to be made by ones who understand the game. And when it all turns to shit it's someone else's fault, and everyone else's responsibility to bail them out.

I only saw a bit of the programme but was there a woman who'd bought at £50kish whose house was now worth nearly £200k? HTF does that end up in homelessness? Some BTL or cash buyer would surely give her £150k, pay off the mortgage and have a pot to use to rent or buy a flat in any town other than London. Or did I miss something?

Back