Hope it doesn't turn out to be a lemon

Well I've stripped the paint off. Some years ago an EU directive banned the active ingredient in paintstripper. Those who have tried using modern paintstripper will be aware of how useless it can be now. A frame that I stripped earlier in the year took many weeks and a lot of scraping. However, this clockwork turned out to be much easier than I was expecting - probably because of the lack of lacquer, and the scratched condition of the paint.

Observations:
1) The grey/blue finish of the metal under the paint suggests it was treated (galvanised, hot or cold blue treated?). Wire wool does not cut this back very easily. The treatment has worked as the only evidence of any rust is a small area within the bottom bracket housing as you would expect.

2) The rear drop out, bosses, cable stops, butted seat clamp tube are all brazed on. There is also a large blob of brazing material between the two chainstays where they meet the bottom bracket - can't immediately see its purpose.

3) Drilled holes, bosses, cable stops, tube ends all had burrs - presumably too labour intensive to debur - tends to get covered up by the paint. Will debur these.

4) A number of weld splatter blobs - again only noticeable once the paint was removed. Will file these down.

5) No butting on the headtube.

Attachments

• DSC01855.JPG
    DSC01855.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,515
  • DSC01859.JPG
    DSC01859.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,515
  • DSC01856.JPG
    DSC01856.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,515
Nice start and good detailed photos.

I would have guessed a 17" would suit you well, a 19" is quite large for your size, but depends on your preference etc.

My initial attempts at removing the dull grey finish didn't look too promising. With renewed vigour, after a few days off, I took some sandpaper, wire wool and autsol to the frame and it did polish very nicely. That shine represents about a days work on and off.

Looks fantastic at the moment - hand polishing leaves a lovely patina that sandblasting etc would probably have removed. Nice contrast between gold of the brazing and the steel. But it is bare steel and won't last in its current state. So where now?

1) I have some 'cold blue' that I am going to oxidise some of the smaller parts. Tempted to try it on the frame, but most reviews indicate it is very difficult to get right and doesn't last.

2) Leave bare and regularly spray in silicon. Would require long term maintenance. However, I do use it on a bare aluminium frame and that has not tarnished yet after a year.

3) Clear coat. All reviews appear to suggest this is a waste of time in the long term. However, googling has shown up some promise for a clear coat polymer called Nyalic. Expensive at £40 for two small aerosols though - and no testament as to its long term success.

4) Have it powder coated.

5) Let my 'arty' son loose on it with spray cans (he's keen).

I'm going to let it be while I clean up the other bits and see how quickly it tarnishes in my damp and cold garage.

Attachments

• DSC01876.JPG
    DSC01876.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 1,296
  • DSC01870.JPG
    DSC01870.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,296
  • DSC01877.JPG
    DSC01877.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,296
  • DSC01875.JPG
    DSC01875.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,296
Looks very nice, love the Raw look about it being stripped bare, but i share your concerns over it tarnishing and subsequently requiring a lot of maint to keep it looking good.

I had mine powderocated for £40, that was including full strip etc, so to get yours done would be less as you have done the hard work.

Here is a link to my Clockwork build, albeit a slow burner at the mo.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ?p=1601596

Loving the updates on your build, i love hearing how people look at different options when doing builds :D

Jussa :D

SEANSTEPHENS":xw8sn2s0 said:
have a look at the paint job i did on my haro, took 6 or 7 cans of holts paint which cost me 20odd quid but the paintwork turned out really nicely :)

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=227003&start=45

sean

Great spraying booth you have there. There would be a lot of sprayed casualties in my garage if I try that at the moment. Very impressive finish.

My son uses 'Monster Colours' for his artwork. If I go down that route I will give him a free rein (probably). I will discuss it with him in the new year after his upcoming A level modules.

Rob

Find somewhere that will do clear powder coat- will stick better than paint to the polished surface!

Looks great btw but it will rust quickly

two years since I had mine clear coated over bare metal...

P3230431.jpg

...and it hasn't begun to rust yet :cool:

We_are_Stevo":t1sacr5b said:
two years since I had mine clear coated over bare metal...

P3230431.jpg

...and it hasn't begun to rust yet :cool:

Very impressive if that is over steel. Do you recall any details - ie method and clearcoat used?

Rob

Latest posts

Back