Idiot vs 3ttt Status stem...I'm losing :0(

Roadtoad

Dirt Disciple
Okay...I bought a nice new 3ttt stem for my Lemond and tried to fit it. A monkey would probably have done a better job. I am hoping someone out there will have gone through the same voyage of discovery that I did...remove plastic top cap....discover that the pit the top cap screws into obscures the top of the expander bolt....give up...put back in box...repeat.

Help !!

At least i now know why there are so many of these things NOS...impossible to fit !

eh? just did a google image search to check what the stem looks like, surely you remove the plastic cap and stick in a 6mm hex key as normal?

got a close up pic of the issue?

Sorry no photo yet...will sort tonight.

And thats exactly what I thought...remove cap, insert hex...but oh no. those cunning Italians :0) there is a long grub screw that holds the cap in place from the rear. It goes into a black plastic pipe that sticks out horizontally across the hole. I can see the top of the expander bolt below but there is no wsay to get a hex in without removing the black pipe. I've tried a small alan key to see if its hex retained....I've pried with a screw driver. THere's obviously a back but don't want to break it.

Cheers

found this

http://archive.roadbikereview.com/00/0EFA1D14.php

:)

oh and i googled it and the first thing that came up was planet x selling them for a tenner, might get one myself for my cougar as the the bar clamp is way safer than the really dumb design 3t stem i currently have!

(2 bolt clamp but the bolts go in from the bottom meaning if the bolts fail the bar drops straight down on to the front wheel, and all your weight is pushing against the bolts downward)

Brilliant - thanks Jonnyboy !

Will have a go as soon as my next conference call starts...thats the thing about working from home - always something to do when the calls get dull :0)

Cheers for now - will report back

Bought one for my Peugeot last month but when it came in the box , the horizontal plastic bit wasnt in the stem . So fitted the stem as with any other stem , and then insert the plastic bit and screw the cover .

But if it came with the plastic bit in the stem a lready fitted, you re going to need a bit of brute force to get it out .

Alls well that ends well !

For those that follow....the method is unscrew the retaining screw two or three turns and pull the cover and screw back. This removes the black pipe thingy and you can get at the expander bolt.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Back