1990 Marin Pine Mountain Restoration

Foulplay":2kunz6hh said:
I'll clean up the Araya RM-20 rims and get a pair of new amberwall tyres at the weekend, I think.

Great idea :cool:

It'd be awesome to get some Rockstars on there..

After all the discussions and panic over the years about "how can I possibly recreate my Zolatone finish?!?!" you come along and say "my mate did it, here it is!". So funny!

The finish does look really nice - BUT - in the pic where you are applying the decal the colour looks perfect but in the other pics it looks like too light a grey. Is this just a camera flash/lighting thing? I assume it is as you've obviously been through a lot of trouble getting it right.

kingroon":3u2pv4d0 said:
It'd be awesome to get some Rockstars on there..

If I could find a pair of good condition or NOS Marin Rockstars, I'd be a very happy bloke!

Rob Atkin":3u2pv4d0 said:
The finish does look really nice - BUT - in the pic where you are applying the decal the colour looks perfect but in the other pics it looks like too light a grey. Is this just a camera flash/lighting thing? I assume it is as you've obviously been through a lot of trouble getting it right.

Precisely... the colour looks very different from one picture to the next, mainly due to the varying light conditions. I even found that the colour looks totally different from one PC screen to the next, which made life very difficult when trying to search for the right colour, with my mate over the phone. In the end, I looked at pictures of the bike before it was stripped, and compared it on the same PC to the RAL Telegrey2 pantone and found the closest match.

Under natural light, the white balance changes and makes the grey look a bit darker and a touch bluer. The orange looks more orange and less red, also.

Cheers! :cool:

This might illustrate what I'm saying about how the colour looks different under varying lighting conditions...

The first picture is in my office, under a number of 60W and 40W lighbulbs, as per the main bulk of the more recent pics I've posted.

The second picture is by the back window, under natural light (cloudy, rainy day).

unnatural.jpg

natural.jpg

... and the original pic before work started...

letsgetstarted.jpg

When the project is finished, I'll take a whole set of pics outdoors under natural light.

Cheers :cool:

Wasn't the Zolatone a lighter grey one year [89?] than the next [90?] anyways?

Love Marin Reno Threads :twisted:

Love this photo :cool:

unnatural.jpg

Yes, that too...

I had assumed that the discussion already took that into consideration, because I'd started the thread with the original bike pic.

:D

Back