New thumb friction shifter Sturmey Archer 9 speed?????

This is absolutely brilliant - I had exactly the same problem of wanting to run a 1x9 thumbshift option but wondered about the Paul route - nice but uber expensive. Looking forward to hear if it has enough give for 8/9 speed!

So ive just mounted this up to my Kiniesis for a quick test fit and I can confirm that the lever travel is more than enough for a 9 speed set up and will most prob be fine for 10s also..

The standard lever seems to be ok and holds the tension of the rear mech but with that in mind I was testing it with a knackered old 105 unit as my new XT hasnt arrived :-( but it worked fine...

I also cant see why you couldnt take the lever mount off as it comes apart, turn it around and use it as a LH mount either again with limit time I didnt get round to it but will maybe look indepth in the morning...

I would more than likely use an old XT or Dura ace lever as the friction plate is soooooooo nice to use but so far so good with the standard lever, only when my new mech arrives will I be able to tell if it really will work fine with the stronger spring...

I will add pics tomorrow...

Any news on how this works?

What is the indexing mechanism - Is it a ball bearing on a dimpled/drilled washer? If so, could one replace the washer with one drilled/machined with 9 holes, for 9 speed indexing?

Bumping this because I've only just found it and I was already thinking about mods to those Sturmey-Archer's as a possible cheap 7/8spd thumbie solution.

Also the 3/Friction x 8/9 Sunrace versions are available in the UK now at £19 delivered (per thumb). They're model SLM96 on the Sunrace website: http://www.sunrace.com/en/products/detail/m90?sku=SLM96

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sun-Race-...eed-friction-indexed-DERAILLEUR-/221165120721

$(KGrHqNHJCkFCbQvSgBRBQ)e6U(T+g~~60_12.JPG

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back