the unofficially cool MTB drop bar thread

halaburt":lhwphxtd said:
A few updates to an old, favorite bike:
Absolutely beautiful. I used to be a regular visitor to your mac.com gallery, just to drool - in fact there's a link to that (dead) page on the first page of this thread.

Just a few shots of my `1988 Fisher Procaliber, which you have seen before in SS mode but now with a new transmission in in pathbomber mode.

FisherGG3r.jpg

FisherGG11r.jpg

FisherGG10r.jpg

FisherGG27r.jpg

FisherGG28r.jpg

Right, I have just flicked through the whole thread, as I have the germ of an idea for my next build.

The first question that springs to mind is; with the exception of the single speed bikes, is everyone running triple / mountain bike gearing?

Next question: CX type drops or flared drops like the On One Midge?

I ran triples, starting with the LX that was on, and moved through an FSA & finally a non-compact Deore one (48 outer). Mostly never needed the granny ring, though it was nice on few occasions. Was running "standard" drops, not wide/flared ones. Still using those bars on my Kaffenback.

Only thing I had to change was to swap to a road front mech to match the road STIs.

TedC":3sd812q6 said:
I ran triples, starting with the LX that was on, and moved through an FSA & finally a non-compact Deore one (48 outer). Mostly never needed the granny ring, though it was nice on few occasions. Was running "standard" drops, not wide/flared ones. Still using those bars on my Kaffenback.

Only thing I had to change was to swap to a road front mech to match the road STIs.

That's interesting as my first thought was to go with modern compact type drops and cx cranks / chainset, but I've not really considered whether that would work with 26" wheels. I have also thought about using 700c wheels.

Back